litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Suspension Refresh.

Martin R

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know we've talked about this before, but doing a masterclass for people would be very useful. Maybe a way of raising MLOC funds?

Don't forget the old 'Liability' issue Steve!

Suppose people could sign a disclaimer though.

Martin I have only just read the whole thread.

Absolutely fascinating.

Your doing a fantastic job :blink:

Remember to get a full geo after all that work!

Have you thought about doing a blog? Would make a fantastic read.

Id like to do a similar job on the clio.

See you at Curborough ;)

Mark, ive just read the link above. I know im getting on a bit but pension refresh !!!! Really :clap:

Anyhow, ive come to a bit of a hold up as the plating man has had a couple of days holiday. So im waiting for the top damper bracket and upper wishbone. Never fear though ive got a few more pics.

Lower wishbone mounting bracket, hmm.

P1010001-9.jpg

After shotblasting.

P1010003-6.jpg

Replated

P1010006-5.jpg

Ive decided not to paint the bracket as it holds the lower wishbone bush.

Lower wishbone after shotblasting.

P1010004-6.jpg

Replated.

P1010005-6.jpg

Painted with the new ball joint in and ready for use.

P1010007-3.jpg

I will be back, unfortunatly.

Yet another episode. Ive made a couple of Nylon pieces to go into the vice jaws. There use will soon become apparent. You can buy none marking jaws for engineers vices but ive not got round to it yet. These will do the job.

P1010001-10.jpg

Ive been trying the appropriate Stainless Steel insert in place before reassembling them into the wishbone eyes. This shows the front lower one in position in the replated bracket.

P1010002-8.jpg

This pic shows the lower rear mounting point. Ive cleaned it up using a piece of fine lapping paper. Note the uprated toe link.

P1010003-7.jpg

The next pic shows the insert in position again.

P1010004-7.jpg

This one shows the bushes and the inserts in place. Im using the nylon pieces and the vice to centralise the insert in the middle of the wishbone eye. There is no need too squeeze to hard.

P1010005-7.jpg

The lower wishbone back in place and the bottom ball joint attached to the hub carrier. Im now waiting for the top wishbone and the top damper mounting bracket to dry. Before anyone comments, i have give the rest a bit " cough " of a clean :lol:

P1010006-6.jpg

Now the top wishbone and damper bracket are dry a few more pics.

This one shows how i stop paint going in the eyes. 4 pieces of tufnol and a couple of bolts and nuts. If you make the tufnol bigger than the eyes you can turn the wishbone over and spray both sides together without waiting for one side to dry.

P1010001-12.jpg

This pic shows the covers removed. I then remove any excess paint or plating with a file with some lapping paper under it.

P1010002-9.jpg

This is how they end up.

P1010003-8.jpg

All back together again but not torqued up yet.

P1010004-8.jpg

Ive cleaned all the rust off the brake disc as well, using this.

P1010005-8.jpg

I think its fair to say torquing up is a bit harder on the rear as the clam is on. I put the wheel back on a lowered the car to the ground. I then measured the height of the sill in front of the wheel and the height to the lower wishbone from the floor. Jacked the car back up removed the wheel and after a bit of messing about got the car set the same. You then torque up the appropriate bolts. 3 down and 1 to go.

P1010006-7.jpg

Whilst taking the rear passenger side apart ive realised all the handbrake adjustment is on this side doh. You have to unclip the hand brake cable from the back of the caliper to allow access to the bottom bolt that holds the caliper on. The handbrake adjustment is via a couple of nuts where it attaches to the lower wishbone front mounting bracket. If you loosen these the clip pops out easily.

An update on the handbrake. This pic shows where you adjust it. Its attached to the lower wishbone front mounting bracket. Its basically a long thread on the outer cable with a nut either side.

P1010001-13.jpg

This pic shows how you tell if the adjustment is correct. This measurment from the cable abutment must not be less than 76mm.

P1010002-10.jpg

Ignore the measurment showing as i had put it on inches. It turned out i could not get the passenger side on mine more than 73mm. I removed the handbrake cable and the lever sprung out to about 77mm. It turns out the inner cable is binding on the outer cable that side. Time for a new cable. Lotus dont you love them :)

Archived