litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

[help] Mot Is Ok But:

fentuz

Hi,

Had the MOT done today at a serious garage. The Car was OK but some issues appeared:

Brake; Pads and discs to be replace

Suspension; anti roll bar drop link to be replace

Behind the liner of the passenger side rear arch, the aluminium box seems rub after contact with the wheel... impossible to see except if you remove the liner to replace the fuel filter...

And as we talk about fuel.... the pipe that goes to the fuel filter (from the tank) is badly corroded... look at pictures:

aval1.jpg

aval2.jpg

The garage didn't want to change the fuel filter now as they tought it could brake... they will take some time Friday to clean the rust a lubricate it....

Is it Normal? Shall I replace that? is it a part of the fuel pump?

Oh God.... I start to panic, I think my holiday in France will be canceled....

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pump to filter pipe isn't part of the pump but a separate part. I don't know how much they cost but have heard various [quite high] amounts so worth checking price and availability with a dealer. I'm surprised it's that corroded though. Its up to you about replacing it. If it were me I'd probably replace the filter and pipe when I knew I had the replacement pipe available.

The pump to filter pipe isn't part of the pump but a separate part. I don't know how much they cost but have heard various [quite high] amounts so worth checking price and availability with a dealer. I'm surprised it's that corroded though. Its up to you about replacing it. If it were me I'd probably replace the filter and pipe when I knew I had the replacement pipe available.

Well, the filter is do to be replaced... Servicing type C has been done appart of the fuel filter...

"much they cost but have heard various [quite high] amounts" Does it means more than £20-50 ???

I think it should be like that:

bracket1.jpg

Fentuz, i had exactly the same on mine at the C service. I hope you are siting down ive just looked at the invoice. Fuel feed pipe part no A111L0059F £130.41 + VAT. I remember i was stunned at the time :rolleyes:

Yep, Call Chris Foulds so yes, + at least £90 labour....

I just order New Pads and Disks... 4 corners.... And I should go on the 22/09/2006 to France for holiday.... great news....

I'm stoned....

Do you know if I can leave it like that and change it when I'll need to change the fuel filter next servicing (in 6000 miles)... hopefully after the winter????

Or it is Dangerous so My safety first (even if spending a penny gives me a heart attack... probably some scottish DNA....)

Fentuz, i had exactly the same on mine at the C service. I hope you are siting down ive just looked at the invoice. Fuel feed pipe part no A111L0059F £130.41 + VAT. I remember i was stunned at the time ;)

Yep, Call Chris Foulds so yes, + at least £90 labour....

I just order New Pads and Disks... 4 corners.... And I should go on the 22/09/2006 to France for holiday.... great news....

I'm stoned....

Do you know if I can leave it like that and change it when I'll need to change the fuel filter next servicing (in 6000 miles)... hopefully after the winter????

Or it is Dangerous so My safety first (even if spending a penny gives me a heart attack... probably some scottish DNA....)

Fentuz, i think its a bit unfair to expect us to comment if its dangerous or not :( I think you really have to make your own mind up.

Fentuz, i think its a bit unfair to expect us to comment if its dangerous or not :( I think you really have to make your own mind up.

I agree. my only conscern is the fact it pass the MOT as it is. It is not even mentionned in the replacement advices of the MOT (where new discs and pads were ).

So as I don't know anything about mechanics about the garage declared it OK....

Edit:

I'm going to change it for my peace of mind.... Hopefully, the part will be on the car next Friday...

I had slight corrossion on the thread of the fuel pump to fuel filter pipe. This was reported when carrying out the C service (pressure tight seal could not be made with new fuel filter). Had to replace the part at £146, labour was £90+VAT. Not very happy!!

Pardon my ignorance of such things but...

Is there a particular reason why the fuel system is a bit if a mish-mash of plastic and metal piping, push fit and threaded connectors?

Could all the pipes be replaced with braided hoses and screw connectors? Expensive compared to £100+ for a 3" metal pipe?

Sam, im sure you could come up with a better idea with a bit of thought. As the fuel filter is in line and the threads go opposite ways, i presume that is the reason for the push connector. Why Lotus cant put a bit of heat shrink or similar over the ends to prevent corrosion i dont know. Ive put a load of grease on mine now to help stop it for next time.

Sam, im sure you could come up with a better idea with a bit of thought. As the fuel filter is in line and the threads go opposite ways, i presume that is the reason for the push connector. Why Lotus cant put a bit of heat shrink or similar over the ends to prevent corrosion i dont know. Ive put a load of grease on mine now to help stop it for next time.

With a bit of thought i'll see what I can do. Any useful findings will be usefully posted of course!

I asked to the garage if they can protect it with grease... they came out with a better Idea...

They will treat as they treat hollow part of vintage classic.... cold galva+ epoxy resin + grease...

Should do the job...

Archived