litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Correct Cornering Method...

MattyB

Been...playing...today. Found a little stretch of road by me thats quiet and twisty and started practising the "slow in, fast out" technique.

Now I understand that words/advice are never going to replace something like the 1stLotus course, but until I get the time/funds to do it, this will have to do :clap:

Now, I've always been used to driving FWD, but my method goes something like this...

1. Bend approaching - progressive braking, slotting down the gears, for extra engine braking.

2. Select a gear that gives mid to high RPM (to allow for max. adjustablilty mid-bend?) as you travel through the bend.

3. Hold a constant throttle as you turn through the bend, staying wide through the first half

4. As you pass the apex of the bend, start to apply some throttle and cut the end of the bend (not sure I've explained that right) so technically your straightening out after you've passed the bends main apex.

5. When the roads straightens, "nail it"

It seems to work, although I get alot of understeer - but I'll put that down to 245 rears and my poor driving/knowledge of RWD. I'd appriciate any pointers.

I meant to be doing a small tour of south/mid Wales tomorrow with a few other Elises and other cars, so if I go (weathers not meant to be that good) it'll be a great opportunity to work on the technique.

Cheers all

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to drive as fast as I can towards the corner..come off the throttle.throw the steering wheel quick into the corner....apply the throttle a bit more...a bit more....and va va voooom

even better now i have some more bhp :clap:

Matty

Sounds like textbook stuff. However there are two reasons for the understeer:

1. You're overbraking for the bend. This doesn't mean you're not braking enough, rather that you're still in the braking phase ("dive") during turn-in, which is loading up the front tyres into the apex.

2. You're over-accelerating out of the bend. Most people think this will cause oversteer and of course if you wheelspin the driven rear wheels, that's what you will get ultimately. But before then, excessive acceleration will push the lightly-loaded (acceleration pushes the weight onto the back springs = "squat") fronts ahead.

Wherever possible, we're aiming for neutrality. Are you still on your 175/245 set up, in which case your car is fundamentally unstable?

If the car is neutrally set up, for maximum safe on-limit performance you should be turning in at the maximum possible steady speed (i.e. braking complete, front springs back up to level) to the limits of front turn-in grip, and thereafter steering on the throttle, playing on the limits of oversteer. Once in the corner, don't steer with your hands but with the small of your back and right toes - an Elise loves to do the dance!

Sounds like set-up imbalance aside, you're still driving it a bit like a FWD hatchback where you can do everything on a trailig throttle on the way in and a bootful of throittle on the way out can be easily modulated (i.e. backing off safely limits the understeer as you power out).

Best way to practice is repeating a bend, building up confidence under "control" conditions until you find the pattern that works best for you and car.

Of course the best drivers can deliberately unsettle a car and carry a non-neutral attitude through a corner by braking into the apex, winding on opposite lock, left foot braking, hand-braking etc etc.

Good luck in your journey of discovery! Go to Andy Walsh at 1st Lotus and he will tutor you on these techniques on a safe and unpopulated airfield.

Graeme

I'm on 185s front, 245s rear - for some reason I thought I was on 175's when I mentioned it a while back :clap: I really need to sort the tyres and get a geo done.

Like you say Graeme, with a FWD you can be alot more brutal. Any trouble and backing off/braking (esp with ABS) would save you so you felt more confident pushing hard. The Elise, in all honesty, intimidates me because I know that if I mess up its going to punish me for it!

Stringing together a few bends though, even no where near the limit still makes you feel like a hero in the Elise, though :P

You might be able to keep your foot down with a fast fwd or 4wd but there is still body roll. I love the way you can see the medium bends coming in your elise....slow down a little and then accelerate hard into them without even a skip in your heart beat :clap: Especially when one of these cars is following you. they cant do that without bravery and committment yet it is so 'everyday' for an elise

going faster into corners instead of slowing down - i love that shit !!!

A wet day with 1st Lotus would be a great way to practice handling the car on the limit. I've learnt far more from driving on wet track days/sprints than I've ever learnt from dry days.

Maybe see those tyres off by doing a day at Elvington, there's nothing to hit there, except other cars!!! Or how about doing the SELOC Bedford day on 10th April with Simon and me. Apparently it's a great track for a first outing.

I'm looking to book the missus on a 1st Lotus probably around May time as it's her car really and I want her to get the best from it. Anyone need an extra person, or want to arrange a new date?

Courteney.

Excellent news Foley!

Any date really but would prefer a Friday or Monday because we have family near North Weald, and would be great to kill the proverbial two birds.

Sounds like MattyB could be persuaded....

Courteney.

Don't think Andrew does Mondays at North Weald.

I'm booked in for my 1st 1st lotus session on 2nd April, but it won't be my last 1st Lotus session. Would be interested in joining some other 2nd time 1st Lotus-ers in perhaps June?

(Try writing that when you're drunk...)

Graeme

I'd be up for another day at some point this summer too, since I figure I can't drive any worse than I did last time (e.g. wearing completely the wrong shoes and getting my foot jammed between clutch and brake on the high speed bend ;) and the slowest lap times on record, probably...). May be June time avoiding Le Mans. Agree with Mike that a wet day would be a laugh.

Kristian :)

Archived