litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Ohlins Group Buy

Greg.g

PRICES AT LAST

Supply only....

One way adjustable ohlins for the s1 or s2 elise is £950 + vat = £1116

S1 owners also require a rear bracket at £22 + vat = £25.85.

Fitting is £176 + vat = £206.8 This includes a full geometry set up.

So an s1 supply and fit comes out at £1349.

An s2 would be £1323.

As the regular supply only cost from ohlins is £1350 i think this deal represents good value.

To take part in the group buy, Horizon have asked for a deposit of £500 per person interested. They need to order the shocks in blocks of at least 5 to get this price.

If not enough people are interested, then of course the deposits will be fully refunded.

I must once again state that the delays have not been caused by Horizon, but the importers.

If you have any more qureries, then contact

Horizon motorsport

I will be placing my deposit now

Sorry for the delays.

Greg

One of my shocks is weeping, so will need replacing come mot time.

I always like to upgrade parts when replacing them, so Ohlins sprang to mind.

I mentioned the posibility of a group buy to Mike at Horizon and he said he would contact his suppliers for a discount if enough interest was shown. No prices were discussed, but it cant hurt to try :D

He did say that he would need 5 plus to start the ball rolling, with price dependant on numbers interested.

So would anyone like to save a few quid?

If so, then add your name to the ticker below.

By the way, i was interested in supply and fit.

1. Greg

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my shocks is weeping, so will need replacing come mot time.

I always like to upgrade parts when replacing them, so Ohlins sprang to mind.

I mentioned the posibility of a group buy to Mike at Horizon and he said he would contact his suppliers for a discount if enough interest was shown. No prices were discussed, but it cant hurt to try :D

He did say that he would need 5 plus to start the ball rolling, with price dependant on numbers interested.

So would anyone like to save a few quid?

If so, then add your name to the ticker below.

By the way, i was interested in supply and fit.

1. Greg

2. Steve-n

Suggest you put this on SELOC too!

I'm still deliriously happy with mine. If anyone fancies a try before you buy, I could take you out and you'll feel the difference between hard & soft (that sounds VERY ominous but I'm knackered and can't be bothered to phrase it better).

Judging by previous threads and polls i'm sure this will open a whole can of worms, but...

Briefly what are the differences/pros/cons between Ohlins and Nitrons? :D

Also:

I'm still deliriously happy with mine. If anyone fancies a try before you buy, I could take you out and you'll feel the difference between hard & soft (that sounds VERY ominous but I'm knackered and can't be bothered to phrase it better).

Pardon my ignorance, but does this mean that they are adjustable?

Cheers,

Jamo

Judging by previous threads and polls i'm sure this will open a whole can of worms, but...

Also:

Cheers,

Jamo

Grrrr, Anth logged in last on my machine!

Also:

Cheers,

Jamo

Grrrr, Anth logged in last on my machine!

Oh my, dare i post on the difference between Ohlins and Nitrons.... in principal there is little difference in terms of the absolute application, both are far superior to anything else you'll get for remotely sensible money, both offer high levels of adjustability that whilst you could make a wonderful road car, if you aren't going to track it then IMHO they are a bit of a waste as £1500 is a lot to spend on suspension, when S2 stuff would probably be fine for the event.

The main difference i noticed in my long research on this is that many people have problems with Nitrons, springs/clickers seizing etc, which means sending them back to Nitron... now if they're in warranty you only have to get them off (either yourself or via a garage at your expense) send them back and get them sorted.... if they're out of warranty it's a £50 a corner rebuild charge aswell... so when you factor in the cost of removal and refit (say £100) which you have to pay anyway, then what do you do with your car, mine is my only car, so i'd have to put something else on - problem, i don't keep spare dampers, plus there is an extra charge to refit after... compare this to Ohlins, i drive into Mike, they get rebuilt on site and off we go, if it's a warranty job it's done on site at no cost (i assume) so all in all we're better off. Plus i like Horizon, get on very well with Mike and Wendy and they're local.

The full on technical differences between Nitron and Ohlins, i couldn't really comment.. i've not driven a car extensively on Nitrons, no doubt they're excellent and equally can be tuned to your needs, just like Ohlins. Ohlins have more clicks to allow adjustability - that could be a plus or a minus depending on what you want to achieve. I'm sure some people will talk about spring rates, piston diameters etc - the debate i always go into with SteveB about this, but tbh i don't know what they are on Ohlins, i do know that when i had them fitted they completely and utterly transformed the car, in fact i think the turning point for Graeme having the ones from my car when i was looking at selling it would have been a trackday at Mallory when i was closing on him so easily through Gerrards, setup/geo was an issue i'm sure, but still.... oh and it was a shame to see him then disappear on the straights mind B)

After all that, stick my name on the ticker too! I need an idea on price though as these house things i;ve just bought aren't cheap and i need to make sure i can sort of afford it....

1. Greg

2. Steve-n

3. Scott

Knowing what i do, i'd guess it'll be a little higher than that, maybe more somewhere between £1100 and £1200, but it does remain to be seen...

The only thing i will say is that suspension is the single greatest mod i ever did to my car, adding extra power is great, but having a fully exploitable car in the handling department is a far greater kick and benefit.

I've got to admit, my car handles pretty poorly at the moment. 3 things would sort this out:-

1) More carefully setting tire pressures

2) Setting the geometry up properly (I've never done it in 3.5yrs and I doubt it was done before!)

3) New dampers - mine are, erm, shocking (although not leaking)

Item 1 - I think I can handle that tonight.

Item 2 - Struggle for motivation and time, although it is coming to me now I've pretty much finished the house.

Item 3 - At the very least I should get some S2 items which I'm sure would be fine but I'd like something a bit more interesting and adjustable. Trouble is that I also need a new exhaust to quieten down the car (a healthy driveby noise from the pavement of 110db on the A5 at 60mph full throttle) and the only one guarantee'd to sort it out is the £450 B+C unit.

One genuine question though - do Horizon have (or have access to) a damper dyno?

I've got to admit, my car handles pretty poorly at the moment. 3 things would sort this out:-

1) More carefully setting tire pressures

2) Setting the geometry up properly (I've never done it in 3.5yrs and I doubt it was done before!)

3) New dampers - mine are, erm, shocking (although not leaking)

Item 1 - I think I can handle that tonight.

Item 2 - Struggle for motivation and time, although it is coming to me now I've pretty much finished the house.

Item 3 - At the very least I should get some S2 items which I'm sure would be fine but I'd like something a bit more interesting and adjustable. Trouble is that I also need a new exhaust to quieten down the car (a healthy driveby noise from the pavement of 110db on the A5 at 60mph full throttle) and the only one guarantee'd to sort it out is the £450 B+C unit.

One genuine question though - do Horizon have (or have access to) a damper dyno?

Ouch that is loud!

Have you consider a Hayward and Scott custom built job? They used to make the B&C one for them, but may be able to tailor something for your exact requirements?

You are right, S2 stuff would be fine, expecially if it is predominantly road use, i would certainly get your Geo sorted first anyway... as for access to a damper dyno, i don't know for definite, i haven't been in ages (believe it if you will!!) however given that they have a dedicated damper technician who came from Penske, i have to assume that they must at least have access, if not having one on site.... i shall enquire.

May be interested. Why not throw another k at the money pit?

TAGL! :rolleyes:

You won't regret it, i can assure you!

So we possibly have 5 now.... worth opening things up to SELOC folks?

I did consider s2 stuff. Is it around £580 plus fitting and geo. It starts to add up :crybaby:

If people want it, I will put up a thread on SELOC now, or should i let it run a couple more days.

As a starting point, Horizon charge around £1800 for ohlins fitted inc geo. I know that Steve n contacted ohlins for a supply only price and was shocked at the price... around £1350 :rolleyes:

A group buy could only improve on this.

1. Greg

2. Steve-n

3. Scott

4. Fiona possibly

5. Jamo ?

No offence - but why cant you fit them yourselves then get the geo done after???

Will save you a few £££'s and is really easy to do! Took me about an hour to do all mine properly. :crybaby:

No reason why not - if Horizon know what ride height you want they'll preset them before despatch. But you MUST get the geo done afterwards, particularly if you're lowering the car as well. Horizon are coy about their actual settings but get them to geo the car. I found that compared to the soggy, tired stuff I was running previously, Ohlins can handle a much more agresssive geo and still feel safe & stable on the road. If you've had the "standard" Horizon geo before, ask Mike for the "agressive" geo if you're getting the Ohlins - it'll save going back to get it done!

Incidentally, Scott - that is easily the most common sense review ever written, arguing in favour of Ohlins, particularly if you live within 100 miles of Horizon (as most of us do). We're not all hardened racing drivers and probably won't notice the last 1-2% either way between Ohlins & Nitron, whichever is "better". But for a practical ownership proposition, your logic is irrefutable. Never heard you talk so much sense before, what's come over you? :rolleyes:

Archived