litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Suspension Refresh.

Martin R

As its the winter and the little blue bomber is going sprinting next year ive decided on a suspension refresh. Ive bought some Superflex bushes and a set of ball joints. With the fixings etc it should work out at about £400 for the lot. If anyone needs any fixings BTW PM me before you buy and if i have them you can have them at what it cost me. Im also shotblasting the wishbones and replating at the same time as im a fussy so and so at the best of times. Pics to follow when ive cleaned a bit of blood of my knuckles.

P.S. Liz is knitting for the impending Grand daughter so we will both be busy this winter :D

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd heard not very good reports on the powerflex bushes Martin. :D Even the current design Nylatron ones are presenting problems (see SELOC thread).

Be interesting to see how you get on with the wishbones, as that's something I wouldn't mind doing (was just going to paint them though).

I'll be following this with interest Martin. Think my bushes are completly shot. Where did you get the bushes from Martin?

Thought the Poly bushes were meant to be the best to go for!

Think I need to do:

Bushes

TRE's

Ball Joints

and rear toe links

More expense!

By the way Martin, I was thinking of painting my wishbones with this POR stuff Linky

Let us know how you get on, and take some pic's for us! :D

Dave, these are polyurethane. I discounted the Nylatron due to the problems people are having. It was therefore OE or Polyuretyhane. I decided rightly or wrongly on these

http://www.superflex.co.uk/

I will post a few pics later. My decision was based on the fact that the sleeves are Stainless steel and are a bigger diameter than the Eliseparts ones. The bushes are also knurled internally to aid grease retention. We shall see :angry:

The story so far. Ive taken the front clam off. Ive shotblasted and repainted the front towing eye with Hammerite smooth. The spray can version as though its thinner and needs more coats the finish is spot on. Ive replaced the driving light brackets after a couple of additional coats of Hammerite again. These are a reasonable £8-50 per side :angry: Ive removed the front passenger side hub and top wishbone joint. A few pics.

Front off

P1010082.jpg

Side view

P1010083.jpg

Superflex bushes ( 22mm stainless internal sleeve )

P1010084.jpg

The bottom ball joint carrier and steering arm. Ive shotblasted both and yes you have guessed give it the Hammerite treatment. Although where the ball joint and steering arm attaches ive left it just shotblasted. Ive done this by putting a bolt and appropriate sized washer through the hole before spraying.

Side view

P1010085.jpg

Bottom view

P1010086.jpg

You obviously dont want to Hammerite the parts that attach it to the hub carrier as you have to coat these with Duralac ( spelling ? ) to prevent electrolitic ( spelling ? :clap: ) reaction.

This is turning into a ramble :clap: but a couple of other things i forgot i had done. Ive replaced the fixings for the radiator and radiator surround with stainless steel for when the plastic end caps pop as they seem to do on S1,s. They were really rusty and a PITA to remove. I also had a spot of bother with the sill fixings on the front clam and had to saw 3 out of the 4 off ( deep joy ) Ive sourced a supply of 8mm flanged Aluminium rivnuts to replace them with at a very reasonable £3 for ten.

From here http://www.nfauto.co.uk/consumables.htm

Edit, i also tightened up the jubilee clips on the radiator hoses and 1 was quite loose :angry:

Anyway back to pics

Cleaned up front hub carrier

P1010001-2.jpg

Top view showing steering arm about to be retightened ( if i had the new fixings ) note the shims used to adjust the front wheel camber.

P1010002-1.jpg

excellent post mate - following this one with interest.

I mentioned a while back i was thinking about doing a DIY pre-MOT next spring (I don't have a garage) - am looking at replacing just about everything you have mentioned, TBH hadn't even considered the clam off, am now though - can do my door hinge stays whilst I'm removed...

Keep the pic's and story coming :)

Yum! Looking good! I reckon thats all worth at least 0.5s at Curborough!!! hehe

Matt, that should only put me about 3 secs behind you then :) Rear clam in the kitchen indeed. My front clam is in the conservatory along with the bloody cats.

excellent post mate - following this one with interest.

I mentioned a while back i was thinking about doing a DIY pre-MOT next spring (I don't have a garage) - am looking at replacing just about everything you have mentioned, TBH hadn't even considered the clam off, am now though - can do my door hinge stays whilst I'm removed...

Keep the pic's and story coming :D

Alaisdair, glad you reminded me. Under the front clam fixings you have spacers. Well rusty washers, when you get the clam off put them back in the appropriate holes along with the fixings. You wont forget what went where then as this is going to take a while.

Dave, the reference to the rear clam was at Matt C who appears to be turning his Exige into a rocket ship ready for the new season ( see SELOC thread ) We do have a shotblaster at work :D We also have a press which saves a lot of messing removing and replacing ball joints. The cup is refilled by Liz in between knitting baby stuff. She has also been unmercifully ribbing me about such a boring thread :)

Are you going to be at donny on sunday Martin? (obviously not on track by the looks of it) I've been thinking about replacing the bushes on my car, nylatron probably a bit over kill so may go for standard rubber ones or the ones you have chosen. Keep us posted on how easy (or PITA) they are to fit. :)

Rus

Rus, if you read the thread on SELOC it will put you off all thoughts of the Nylatrons!

Don't know if it's relevant to Elises, but went I went to an Esprit day at Hethel, the suspension engineer was advocating the use of poly bushes over the origonal rubbers. must say something!

Archived