litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024
  • Welcome to Midlands Lotus Owners Club (MLOC)

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

I have a tappet type noise on my engine, any ideas, is it normal?

Mark H

It could be one of the following:

1. Low oil
  2. Hydraulic tappets running a bit dry (a 'spirited' drive can sort this)
  3. the fuel purge valve (i think thats what its called) (but it doesn't alter with engine revs)
  4. A leaking exhaust manifold
  5. A case of the fact that some K-series tend to get all tappety in the winter and its nothing to worry about.
  6. Something majorly serious

The noise will be much worse if

• the car is left unused for a few days or
  • left unused and then started in this cold weather.

The oil seeps back into the sump ( which is why we talk so much of a good oil as a film of protection should stay on the top end ) and the noise is the clearances 'running dry'. As the oil pumps and warms, the gaps are all cushioned by it....no or little noise. So if the noise is clearing when the engine is warm, no worries. This noise is also letting you know why you should never, ever rev an engine from cold.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.