Jump to content
  • Welcome to Midlands Lotus Owners Club (MLOC)

    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

    This message will be removed once you have signed in.

How To Install A 'shift-I' Shift Light To A K-Series S2 Or S1


This should be the same for an S1 as it is for my early S2.

 

The method I used has been used by others. The current is so small and the wires never move that twist and tape seems to be acceptable. I would have soldered but I'm shit at it and probably would have ruined it rolleyes.gif

 

 

OK so here's how I did it:

 

Remove steering column cowl (2 Phillips and 2 torx screws)

P1170787.jpg

 

 

Unbolt stack from underneath (2 x 10mm bolts)

 

P1170788.jpg

 

Remove binnacle

 

P1170790.jpg

 

 

Unplug wire to back of Stack. The ones you need to splice into are A2 (black) ,A3 (green) and A4 (white/black). These are the earth, ignition and tacho respectively. The blue clip is numbered so you can actually see which wire is which. This way up a is the top row and wire A1 is on the right hand side.

 

P1170791.jpg

 

 

Strip insulation of said wires (I used a scalpel and still managed to cut through a strand of copper :tsk and wrap corresponding shift-i wire round it. It's quite fiddly as the wires are so close together and fairly tightly bound.

 

P1170796.jpg

 

 

Cover joints in tape and bolt it all back together. Mounted the light at the very back of the binnacle pointing slighty upwards. I can see it over the top of the steering wheel.

 

P1170800.jpg

 

 

Seems to reflex nicely like a HUD on the windscreen too. (y)

 

P1170801.jpg

 

 

Seems to work on on the default sensitivity. One light comes on every 1000 rpm from 1-4000 so far. Didn't go any higher as I was sat in the garage and the engine was a bit cold. Can't for the life of me set up the lower and upper limits though. Didn't seem to work when I did what the manual says. Will have another go tomorrow.

 

I reckon from start to finish it was about 50 mins. Not bad as I'd never removed the binnacle before and the wires were a bit of a PITA to do as they are so small.


User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.



Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use