litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Rad Needed - Elise S1 Std K Series

Sundaydriver

I don't think uprated fans are needed. I think i'm right in saying fans don't do anything when the car is moving at a brisk pace - they are more for traffic. I turn my engine off quite a lot when sat in queues as a precaution? although as Keith says when my (standard) fan kicks in it is very effective.

If you do a few trackdays you should perhaps worry a little more about oil temperature - I understand this can be marginal and so an oil cooler is a good idea. A lot of people like the laminova type.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think uprated fans are needed. I think i'm right in saying fans don't do anything when the car is moving at a brisk pace - they are more for traffic. I turn my engine off quite a lot when sat in queues as a precaution? although as Keith says when my (standard) fan kicks in it is very effective.

I'd agree with Dean, the standard fans (assuming the bearings are good, and you'll hear if they're not) are more than upto the job and above about 20mph the airflow has more effect on cooling than the fans. 

I've read the oil cooler is desireable for the Toyota engined cars, as the gearbox can fail , is it a concern on the K series cars.

I do like the water type oil cooler idea. Very compact, and works well with a PRT fitment it seems.

I'm leaning towards fitting the 42mm rad, and a few other jobs whilst the clam is off as others have suggested above.

Dean just to clarify that it is not a good idea to switch your engine off when hot (102- 105) in traffic for a few minutes.  This is due to heat soak and a known issue for the K series.  In a nutshell the temp increases in the head due to the engine and water pump being off.  So your head can overheat and get hotspots when stationary.

The S2 VVC runs hotter than the standard car and therefore has a mini electric water pump that cuts in at a certain temp when the car is switched off.

It is also not a good idea to keep the engine running at idle for a long time.  So I would wait till the fans have done their job, temp comes down and then switch off.

I agree about the fans and oil temp.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after driving my car for well over 1000 miles

since being advised the rad was leaking, and not

Seeing any discernable coolant loss, my thinking

Is I'm going to leave it well alone for the moment.

So, a new thread on coilover/dampers ...

Archived