litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Battery?

MattyB

Thinking about getting a new battery fitted - this ones been in nearly 4 years and has been recharged a few times. Lots of short journeys and multiple starts in the morning (due to it not wanting to go) have left me feeling that a new battery could help to aleviate (sp?) some of the problems I've got.

(I'd also search the forum, as I think this has been discussed before, but I can't find a search function :bangin: )

So then - battery recommendations?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Matty,

I fitted one today !

I went for an Exide 063TE as described here

Read a thread on the BCBBS that says it was a perfect fit. It's a pretty good fit, but not ultra tight (approx 2mm movement) and I'll be keeping an eye on it. Main problem seems to be the curvy 'styled' edges.

I bought it from ATS (National Chain) in Banbury for £40 inc VAT.

The Elise FAQ page (here) recommends the Exide 063SE, I saw this on the shelf next to the TE and it did look 'squarer', so probably fits better.

ATS might possibly fit it for you as well. If you have a Cobra 6422 (round fob), don't forget to disconnect the battery after disarming the Alarm/immobiliser and before the immobiliser re-arms, otherwise the the low voltage alarm will be triggered and the alarm goes off on internal battery.

To get to the battery you need to lift out the washer bottle and unclip the connection to the washer motor, there's plenty of slack on the washer tube to put the bottle out of the way.

It's a pain to get the old battery out, and I removed the plastic trim around the radiator and the plastic cover on the wiper motor. Then clipped a few loom cable ties to allow it to move a little, then wiggled and swore a lot.

Took me about an hour to remove the old one an fit the new one. You'll need a 10mm socket/spanner for the bracket and a 13mm spanner for the battery terminals.

Don't forget to undo the negative terminal first (this is the one nearest to the centre of the car). There's also a small plastic overflow pipe attached to the side of the battery which is a bit fiddly to get at, my replacement had a hole for this too, but I don't think all batteries do.

Probably teaching granny to suck eggs, but may be useful for the archives in any case.

Good luck,

Niall.

Cheers Niall, I'll get one of them - looking at that page you send, the TE looks to be the better purchase, longer warranty etc.

Whilst the clam is off, I want to get a couple of things done, including cleaning the earth straps (my temp reading fluctuates with the heater) and replacing the battery...

Cheers for the info

Archived