litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Bilstein B16 PSS10 (Clubsport) Coilovers on Elise S2?

Guido
Go to solution Solved by mattb130,

I am wanting to upgrade the standard suspension on my S2 Elise. I was going to get a set of Nitrons as they come highly recommended. However, I have been offered a used (500 miles only) set of Bilstein B16 PSS10 (Clubsport) for quite a bit less than I would have to pay for a set of new Nitrons.  The Billy’s sell for upwards of £3.5k new so is this too good an opportunity to miss?

Use Case:  Fast road with a few track days   

Thoughts?

Edited by Guido

• Guido changed the title to Bilstein B16 PSS10 (Clubsport) Coilovers on Elise S2?
  • 2 months later...
  • Solution

Sorry for the late reply my and maybe you’ve already pulled the trigger. But essentially these are similar to the super sport dampers also called track pack or the standard cup 260 dampers that lotus used. If they are bilsteins aftermarket version then they will be slightly different settings but it’s essentially the same kit. 

I’ve just gone down the same route with my car and currently setting them up along with a few other tweaks. 

I dunno about the Billies but I have Nitron NTRs and can offer my opinion - they are a great bit of kit, well made and provide better body control than standard Billies. I really like them but - and it's quite a big but - the spring rates are much higher than anything Lotus has ever fitted and so the car is very stiff - great on track but not so good on bumpy and uneven B roads. As I rarely do trackdays now I am thinking of buying some softer springs so the ride is more compliant. 

11 hours ago, DeanB said:

I dunno about the Billies but I have Nitron NTRs and can offer my opinion - they are a great bit of kit, well made and provide better body control than standard Billies. I really like them but - and it's quite a big but - the spring rates are much higher than anything Lotus has ever fitted and so the car is very stiff - great on track but not so good on bumpy and uneven B roads. As I rarely do trackdays now I am thinking of buying some softer springs so the ride is more compliant. 

Interestingly enough, when I was having my Geo done at PJS we discussed Nitrons.  They advised me exactly what you have said.  Nitron shocks with Lotus spec'd springs.  They can provide both so might be worth a call when you are ready to sort.

I have called Nitron direct in the past and they were very helpful. If I were you I would give them a call and ask them about valving on the NTR shocks if you were to fit much softer springs. I dunno if they would recommend different valving.

PJS will be able to advise you what will fit and they also have all the kit and expertise to do your geo and corner weights.

You are welcome to have a go in mine to try my Nitrons - I live mid Notts. Send me a pm on here.

DeanB - Thanks for the kind offer.  Apart from the Nitrons you have being more track focused, would you say there is a marked difference vs the standard Bilstein fitted by Lotus?

I always think that Lotus know more than I do so what's fitted should be plenty good enough for fast road use.  Which is ultimately what the car is designed to be used for.

If you aren’t in a rush I’m just fitting a set of cup260 / Super Sport pack dampers at the moment so happy to extend a ride if you are down in Warwickshire at some point. But I suspect that your looking to get sorted before I’m finished with my winter tinkering. 

• Thanks 1