litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Evora - manual or auto?

nickashton

I have decided to sell the Elise after 9 years of brilliant driving. After speaking to a couple of Evora owners at LITP this year I have decided that an Evora will be my next car. The question is manual or auto? My budget will stretch to 2012 model year and there are a few out there. I have read about the potential gearbox and clutch issues on earlier Evora hence considering auto. However I am conscious that in the true spirit of the brand a manual should be the preferred option. What do you fellow MLOC ers consider the best option? Any auto Evora owners out there who could help?

many thanks

Nick

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IPS?  You get paddles so not 100% stuck in auto.  The software varied quite a lot in early iterations, some of them wouldn't stay in manual mode.  I think you really need to drive the exact car you're thinking about and see how you get on with it in the different drive modes.

I have a few thoughts:

I have never liked the ordinary automatic cars so have always had manual transmissions, however, an automatic with paddles might be a different proposition. As @Lithopsian says, find an Evora and try it out, it might suit you.

There aren't a lot of Evoras about so you may not have the option to be so choosy unless you want to wait around for a long time. It's a pretty exclusive car.

I have a 2010 Evora with the long ratio box. The previous owner of this car had the gear change cables replaced with the 2012 version. I have had no problems with the gear change.

The manual gear change is good as long as you don't try to rush it.

I have manual Evora at 67k and clutch still working , a tad heavy but I have a dodgy knee anyway !

I am not sure the IPS was that involving but I never tried one as I was always working on principle that driving a lotus was all about engagement so hence the manual box 

I have a lowly NA not got all the packs, but with my BOI and lotus sports exhaust it’s good enough for me