litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Peak District Roads - recommendations?

Fred D

Loving the S3 Elise Sport 220, not disappointed by the car, it is a beast and very quick! Glad I bought it.

Can anyone recommend some decent roads in the south of the Peak District? Going for a day trip from Birmingham and want some decent driving roads! Planning on going up the A515 to Buxton, then along the A6 to Matlock and Bakewell but happy to detour to something nicer. 

Any recommendations, pic for attention!

IMG_8897.JPG

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some suggestions!

Go to Ashbourne first

Leave Ashbourne on the A515 towards Buxton

Turn right on to the B5056 by the Bentley Brook pub

Stay on that until the end - half way along you will need to go straight over the Crossroads by the Hollybush pub at Grangemill

When you get to the T junction at the end turn right

After a mile at the next T junction turn left on to the A6

It's about 2 - 3 miles in to Bakewell

In Bakewell turn left on to the B5055 (the turn is just before the roundabout in the centre of town) and take it all the way to and through Monyash. You will eventually come to a sort of staggered crossroads junction with the A515

Go straight on - it is actually just to the right

Carry on past the Royal Oak pub at Hurdlow (decent for lunch by the way) and on to Longnor.

At the crossroads in Longnor turn right on to the B5053 and stay on there until you meet another junction with the A515 by the High Peak Bookstore and Cafe (also good for lunch and books).

Turn right on to the A515 and then immediately left on to the A5270

Stay on there until the end - a T junction with the A6.

Turn right on to A6

Turn left soon after on to B6049 and drop down in to Millers Dale and through Tideswell until you come to a crossroads 

Turn right on to the A623

Drop down the hill and at the bottom turn right on to the B6465

Go through Wardlow and past Monsall Head Hotel (a good place to stop for a view of the viaduct. There's also a nice cafe I think) and down to Ashford in the Water. 

Turn left at the T juntion, right at the T junction immediately after and left at the third T junction on to the A6.

You are now heading back to Bakewell so I'll leave you to decide where to go next!

Beware static speed cameras between Ashford and Bakewell.

That is, trust me, a great route. Lots of great driving roads in beautiful countryside with some good views from elevated positions. Lots of bends!

Don't stay on the A roads in the bottoms of the valleys because the views aren't usually as good with the exception of the A5012 Via Gellia and the traffic is awful. You need to get up on top of the hills and on to some B roads, although you will get traffic everwhere.

Hope you have a great time. Let us know how you get on would you please?

Dean

Put 'Riber Castle' into Google maps. For some reason my route brings up road names not numbers.

Instead of enduring the A6 into Matlock from Bakewell, when you get to Rowsley turn left into Chatsworth, then virtually immediately right into Chesterfield Rd. This develops into a 1in5 hill, but when you get to the top out of the trees, its fun time!

Fork right onto Alicehead Rd and carry on to the crossroads with the A632.

Turn right at the crossroads and enjoy a superb 'down and up' through Kelstedge. 

At the top of the 'up', turn left into Holestone Gate Road.

Go straight over the B6014 into Lickpenny Lane, then High Lane.

Once you get to Lea Moor Rd, you can either follow that to Lea and Cromford and pick up the A6 there

or pick your way through to Crich and join the A6 further down.