litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 elise window dropped

Badger02

A few days ago, a window on my S1 elise dropped. 

The white plastic clips had detached from the window. Got new clips from eliseparts.

Attached the new ones to window with tiger seal, let it go of.

Tonight spent 2 hrs ago putting it all back together. Tested it, a small gap at the top, but liveable with I thought.

Up and down it went, working OK, then a clunk, new clips had separated from the glass again.

To say I am peed of is an understatement.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong ? Is tiger seal not the right stuff to use (the tiger seal is stuck on the window, the clips have separated from the tiger seal).

Any help or advice appreciated.

I'm now drinking a whisky on a school night !

Cheers

20220215_194610.jpg

20220214_191158.jpg

• Badger02 changed the title to S1 elise window dropped
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found this for you Badger02

Good luck !

MrWill

The official glue is Permabond Flexon F246, I think it is branded as Loctite F246 now. It needs an activator. No doubt there are equivaents. Lotus says you should clean off the old glue with Betaclean 3900. Make absolutely sure you glue them back in the right place, as the studs and bolt holes are not adjustable and if the glass doesn't sit in exactly the right spot, it will be hard to adjust it to slide cleanly. Attaching the carrier bar before the glue dries is a recommended, although It is almost easier to buy a new glass which comes with the tabs glued on!

Detailed instructions with pictures:
http://www.hazelnet.org/elise_faq/Windows/Rebond/index.htm

I was told to use Sikaflex 255FC?, it was still working when I sold the car 4 years later. Make sure you also check the silents haven’t become detached in the runners they are the rubber and felt liner inside the channels they can get a bit baggy and cause friction, if they’re in good order use some silicone lube on the them to reduce any friction. Be very careful when checking the channel runners, I’m sure mine were embedded with razor blades😬
Hth

Hi, thanks for comments.

I also managed to find out which glue is recommended to use by Lotus, same as mentioned above.

Car is actually at Central Lotus now for a cambelt and water pump change, so they are going to have a go at the window at same time. I have told them not to spend more than 2 hrs on it, as this is the same time it would take me.

I fear that when I attached one of the new clips onto the window, I got it out by 2 to 3mm, so that when I raised the window, it then jammed in the runners, which then caused the carriers to separate from the window.

Failing all of this, I can get a new window with the carriers already bonded on in the correct position for £172 from Lotus.

Will see how Central Lotus get on today, fingers crossed.

Hi

The route of the problem will be the seal, replace it with the correct one from here,

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/category/341/single-track

Better then OEM

I cant remember which is the exact on but you need to get the track out and measure it, then you will be able to find the correct one.

Failing to do it now will mean you end up doing it later and like me it fails when you are in Scotland in its not sunny

• 3 weeks later...

btw, my window is fixed

i bought some new clips from elise parts https://www.eliseparts.com/shop/search/?search=S1+Elise+%2F+Exige+Door+Glass+Stud+Carrier

As central lotus had the car in for a cambelt change, they also took window out, stuck new carriers on the window using permabond, then refitted the window, they charged me 1 hr labour for this.

Am happy now, and CL did a good job :)

• 4 months later...

I am having the same trouble with S1 elise - I have glued it back before but it didn't last very long!  Probably using wrong adhesive,

Thanks to the guy that posted original problem and a bigger thanks to those that put such helpful replies. I'm about to order glue and channel inserts now

Archived