litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Alloy Switch Covers & Broken Switches

M111

Help Guys, please...

I have just received some alloy switch covers from an Ebay seller. The seller has seemingly good feedback and I am not going to name names until I have spoken with him after the New Year holidays.

I tried the first cover on the blank switch cover and it became stuck very soon leaving a long way left to push it on. I tried pulling it off but only succeeded to remove the whole switch from the dash. On trying to get the cover off the blank switch I have completey demolished the switch cover, and I wasn't being hamfisted, the cover is locked totally solid.

Thinking that this was probably a poorly finished/sized cover I went to put the second one on, on the hazard light switch. With a bit of hindsight/forethought I lubed the inside of the new alloy cover with a bit of washing up liquid. I eased the cover on and found it to be tight. As it was not going on very well I thought I would back out and remove the cover fearing the same scenario as before but guess what. Yep, it was stuck fast, only half way on. On gently pulling the cover I have now removed the plastic hazard light switch cover complete with alloy cover. Try as I might, using hot soapy water and rubber gloves I cannot part either of the two switches and covers. The switches are totally chuffed.

Q. Are the switches & blank switch available as individual units or does the whole panel need replacing?

Q. Are they a know OE part? (have I heard someone say Peugeot?).

Q. Is it an easy enough job to replace?

Q. Behind the blank switch I poked my finger in and found a loose terminal block. Any idea what this might be for? (I'm guessing it is just part of the loom and would be used to connect an optional extra).

Q. Have the switches been revised over the years?

The car is a 1997 series 1.

Cheers Guys

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Q. Behind the blank switch I poked my finger in and found a loose terminal block. Any idea what this might be for? (I'm guessing it is just part of the loom and would be used to connect an optional extra).

Some people fit a starter button there :( it can be unused also if you fit one of those coloured dash bits from eliseparts :D

Switches are definitely from Peugeot.

Sure you'll be able to get hold of them individually either new from Peugeot (bound to be cheaper than trying to get them from Lotus) or from your nearest breakers yard as they've been used on loads of Pugs through the years.

Pretty sure they'll just pull off and then push back on although i've never done it myself.

Switches are definitely from Peugeot.

Sure you'll be able to get hold of them individually either new from Peugeot

The clips break if you're not VERY careful. Peuguet only sell in bags of 5, which is why I've got 4 spares (1 now spoken for, above).

Chris

Seems like you should be OK for a cheap repair, M111.

Having read the above, it made me wonder if the extra switch could easily be changed to a cigarette lighter socket, not for smoking but for battery charging?

I think the switches are live without ignition, are they not? I'm sure I have to remember to switch off the headlamps after engine off.

Any thoughts?

Having read the above, it made me wonder if the extra switch could easily be changed to a cigarette lighter socket, not for smoking but for battery charging?

Any thoughts?

That's exactly why I've got spares - Optimate trickle charger fitted to blank on Sonya's car when it was mine. Little bit of drilling and filing, then glued in the fitting and wired onto the wiring behind.

New car had a connector already fitted, so didn't need any further mods.

Seems like you should be OK for a cheap repair,  M111.

I think the switches are live without ignition, are they not? I'm sure I have to remember to switch off the headlamps after engine off.

Any thoughts?

My cigarette lighter is live with the ignition off and I use a solar battery charger FWIW (not convinced it does anything). As the car is kept under a car port and still manages to get wet I am not going to risk a mains operated charger. Hopefully I'll be moving to a new house in 2006 and top of the list will be a double garage so I'll be able to molly-coddle baby then :P

I don't see the point in a starter button when the key has to be in the ignition. If the key was dash mounted too then I might have been tempted down this route.

Above all else, I just wanted some nice shiny swith covers, and now look at the mess I have gotten myself into B)

Gary

My switch covers from father christmas were very stiff to get on too and they were Elise Parts ones. I did the same, put one on, found it was very stiff, tried to get it off, gave up, and forced it on by hand. 'twas a bugger but they won't fall off!

Rich

i have manufactured and sold loads of these covers

i think the plastic switches may be slightly differant sizes in some cars

a tip i found to help get them off if they are tight is to heat them up with a hair dryer

Billy I tried with VERY hot water but no good :clap:

Gary

Archived