litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Indicator condensation help please

jako999

Hi all my right indicator just keeps filling with  condensation about once a month, its not something that's new it done it for years but not this bad. I've even drilled a couple of 3mm holes in it to let the air flow through. The problem is the contacts on the bulb keep failing.

As we all know what a pain it is to get the indicator out I really need to get this sorted. I think I may solder the wires direct to the bulb at least that will stop that problem but what is causing so much water in the lens? There must be lots of us with this problem?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Occasional condensation is quite common, but regular and bad is a problem.  Detach it from the car, dunk in a bucket of water, and look for bubbles.  It is almost certainly not sealed well enough and lets water in.  The water then never gets out because of the very limited airflow into the "sealed" fitting and just moves about, condensing on the lens and the light itself when the temperature changes.

If you want to try a quick fix, you can just take out the bulb holder and thoroughly dry out the lens.  Use a gentle heat on the outside of the lens or just stand it facing the sun.  Maybe it will stay dry for long enough to be worth it not going for the more complete fix.

I had the same on my first S2, I put a small bag of silica into the unit held in place with a dab of silicone, was a bit “ship in a bottle” getting it in there, but it did the trick, I hadn’t drilled any holes in my unit though. A couple of weeks later the bloody tab broke so I then had to fix that🙄

I have already fixed the tab. I tried the hole just to see it it helps I can easily seal it again. I think I will try putting it in water over the next few days and look for air bubbles and try and seal it around the lens that made a lot of sense as being the only way water could get in.

Thanks

Archived