litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Audio Solutions...

MattyB

Now Christmas is over, I'm desperate to get some better sounds in the Elise.

I'm not sure whether just to get some replacement speakers and leave it at that - in the knowledge this is an Elise and not a mobile beat box.

Or whether to get some new replacement mids, put some tweeter pods in the front with a small amp and mini-sub behind the seats to try and get some kind of decent range in it...

OR there's this new complete Audio solution from http://www.elise-goes-hifi.com/ which I've heard good things about - although I don't like that big dash-based speaker mega-pod thing. Probably cost the same as the above solution though.

Any recommendations? Especially for the rear speakers - I was tempted to go with the same as Scott has, which seem quite good...

Hope your all enjoying Chrimbo day :D

Matt

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Matty. Whilst trying to avoid punching the relatives today I borrowed my brother in law's 'autocar' I think it was and that was a top Blaupunkt (sp.?) system with DAB tuner (which personally I'd quite like) which played CDs, MP3s, had a CD-RW etc and looked the dogs'. Round about £300 new English pounds I think and they reckoned it was the best going if those were the sorts of things you were looking at. Not too large either as there's not much space to fit anything in a liz unless you want some sodding great thing sat on the rear parcel shelf or whatever you S1 boys have if it's different.

Kristian :D

I've got a decent Headunit Kris - I must have been mental at the time because it cost £350 - Its a Kenwood unit which plays MP3/WMA and all that. Used to sound great in my Lupo (which had decent speakers as standard)

Unfortunately, those nasty standard Alpines in the S1 must have been out of the bargain bin, because they sound horrid...my source is fine, its my output which leaves a little to be desired :D

i am running a kenwood KDC-7024 head unit. a pioneer ts-wx10lpa sub tube thing behind the passenger seat, with kenwood psr 700 speakers mounted in the pods. it sounds great (for an elise). and i can't think why i'd ever want more.

recommend it.

Matt

Yes the Alpine speakers are crap! I saw them for sale at a Lotus show for £15!

I helped to fit a set off Kenwood Dual mags (As fitted to the McClaren F1, light as a feather!) to my friends S1 and he says they sound really good!

You might want to try doing what I did though. I was going to dynamat the speaker pods as everyone said how flimsy they were. When I took them out they were as flimsy as an Icecream tub!
I decided they seriously needed beefing up. What I did was coat the backs of the pods with GRP, with MDF rings for the speakers to screw into.
When I put them back the diffrence was really noticable. I now had bass! and they no longer rattled. All I need is some decent speakers.

If you want some pics of how I did it, send me an email or U2U me.

Dave

Matty a while back i posted up a link from Dabs of all places that were selling the PSR700's.... worthwhile as they slot right in.

As for changing the speakers, i did with my nice Pioneer ones and they are a load better, i also added some Dynamat to seal the joints better and hey presto i get bass too! They were a pain to do as I have previously explained to you, but well, well worth it!

I've yet to hear the bass tube in place - Jonny pop round again would you... :drive: But am not convinced myself!

Well I've just been "given" some good quality Kenwood speakers (6.5/17cm) with crossovers - but no tweeters, so I need to supply those.

They look quite deep though, so not sure if they'll fit without some spacers. Gonna put the tweeters in the dash a-la Eliseparts tweeter pods, but I'm cutting them myself cause I'm not paying £90!

Should give a better sound anyway!

Archived