litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Car Cutting Out (again Sorry)

AL G

Afternoon all...

After breaking down again in heavy traffic today (Snow this time, not the usual rain) I think it's time I did something about water in the plugs/electrical system/.

Have tried Ignition sealant around the cap/leads dozens of times, this helped a bit, but any combo of cold weather and heavy rain/snow and it happens again.

Have tried the archives, and Magnecor leads seem to be the way forward. Now for the questions I can't seem to find the answers to..

1- Blue or Red leads ? (Standard 97 S1)

2- Elisparts or is there anywhere cheaper

3- Is the standard Dizzy cap OK from eliseparts for this problem

4- Do i need new plugs, or just the above

5- Is the S2 plug cover any better, and where can I find one..

Phew - glad I narrowed it down to 5 questions..

Thanks in advance.

:)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So its not just us VX users with this problem!!!! :P

Ive not had it yet but theres loads on the VX forum with it! [normally the turbo drivers]

Cant you fit a water ingress kit - not unlike what im going to fit?

Heres a link:-

CLICK HERE

You can adapt the same methology to yours.

Have you got a plate covering your plugs or are they exposed?

If you need a plate I have a plastic one you can have.

Otherwise I would suggest the S2 engine cover. A bit of fettling and your wet plug issues are gone for ever.

Thanks Steve - there is a plastic plate covering the plugs, 2 screws holding it down "Elise" embossed on it? Am guessing this is the standard S1 part - what does the S2 cover look like and where can I source one?

The problem seems to be at the other end though, the leads going into, and the the dizzy cap.. When the AA man squirted his magic to get it going, he didn't touch the plugs or cover..

Been looking on the BBS, and there are good and bad(very bad) reports on Magnecor leads. Apparently great for stopping water getting into the plugs (thet are sealed), but they are VERY fragile and the inner core can break when bent...

Chris - sorry to hear that your VX is cursed with the same issue - or could be anyway - .. It's really getting on my wabs now . . .

Chris - sorry to hear that your VX is cursed with the same issue - or could be anyway  -  ..    It's really getting on my wabs now . . .

Im lucky not happened to me yet - but im not taking chances. I have bought the ingress kit from vxl, a Badass polished engine cover, and a Thorney Motorsport shower cap that covers the engine bay:-

[Will it fit the S1????]:-

CLICK

Brilliant value for money.

Got my badass cover today - looks the nuts :(

Here is a link to Badass - but dont know if they do one for the Liz:-

>BADASS<

The Ingress Kit is from Vauxhall

8805aeb3.jpg

The Water ingress kit is the top plate, the badass covers are the bottom two.

The ingress kit fits to the boot lid - the badass covers fit direct to the engine.

looks top mate..

I have ordered new leads and dizzy, and am still trying to source / have a look at an S2 plug cover as per Steve's suggestion..

Fingers crossed I won't have to walk to work again cos it's snowing :(

Archived