Daniel Abt Steps Up To Gp2 With Lotus Gp

Mark H

Since the beginning of the GP2 Series back in 2005, Lotus GP has won multiple titles in both the drivers' battle and the Team Championship. The motivation and talent have always remained the same and to achieve their objectives in 2013, which are to regain top place in the sport, the team will rely on a great combination of two very talented young drivers.

Lotus GP is proud to announce that Daniel Abt will team up alongside James Calado for the 2013 Championship season. The young German knows Lotus GP well after defending its colors in the 2012 GP3 Series. In his first year in the discipline, Daniel made a strong impression, only missing out on the title by two points. Promotion to Team Lotus GP2 is a logical progression for both the team’s overall objective and Daniel’s racing career.

Daniel Abt: “I cannot tell you how happy I am to have the opportunity to race in GP2 with the best team I can imagine. Already in GP3 we had a really good relationship and worked together well. We finished second in the championship it felt like the right choice for me to go one step higher in my career. Of course it is always a big challenge for the drivers and the team but I am sure we have the perfect package to achieve great results. I want to thank Frederic Vasseur and all my partners for believing in me and offering me the opportunity to do the 2013 season in GP2 together with Lotus GP.”

Frédéric Vasseur: “Daniel is the GP3 driver who has improved the most over the course of the last season. He finished either first or second in the last seven races, showing he has what it takes to fight for the title until the final race and that he fully deserved to win. His mind, his raw talent and his ability to adapt and grow convinced Lotus GP to help him take the step up into the GP2 Series where he will have a professional environment that he already knows and which has the culture of winning.”

This post has been promoted to an article

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Similar Content

• By Mark H
      ART GRAND PRIX is pleased to announce the signing of young Argentine driver Facu Regalia in the 2013 GP3 Championship series line up.
      The twenty one year old made his GP3 debut at the Silverstone circuit in 2012, competing in four races last season.
      Prior to this he competed in the Italian Formula Three Championship in 2011. Last season he raced in the Auto GP as well as in the European F3 Open Championship where he secured three victories, three pole positions and one fastest lap.
      Facu Regalia: “I’m really happy. The last three months were pretty busy to close this deal. It´s a pleasure to become an official ART Grand Prix driver, because I know that I´ll have a very good package for fighting for the results what we have in sight. It’s fantastic that ART Grand Prix relies on me. I really want to appreciate the effort coming from my sponsors, Varlion, ACA and of course my own family and other people such as Adrián Campos or Eduardo Ramírez, who make my present and future in racing look nice. We´ve an excellent working team and everything is set to aim for the best possible results. Mr. Rosales - The ACA president- and Mr. García Remohí, CDA President in Argentina, were the other two key people because they really want to have another Argentine driver in Formula 1 in the coming years. GP3 is a very important championship, always racing at the same tracks as Formula 1. Another great novelty is the new car with new aerodynamic kit, more power, new brakes, so this challenge is even greater. I´m looking forward to driving the new GP3/13 at Estoril next week, and I was told this car is quite similar to the first-generation GP2 car.”
      Frédéric Vasseur: “ART GRAND PRIX has closely followed the evolution of Facu including his performances during GP2 testing. His GP3 debut during the 2012 season was by nature very complicated, but he was instantly knocking on the door of the top 10. This in itself is a sign of quality that never fails to impress. Moreover, Facu is an intelligent and talented young man who is also very mature for his age. He will fit in well with ART GRAND PRIX and in complete harmony with the team’s 2013 GP3 driver line up.”
    • By Mark H
      ART GRAND PRIX is pleased to announce the signing of young Argentine driver Facu Regalia in the 2013 GP3 Championship series line up.
      The twenty one year old made his GP3 debut at the Silverstone circuit in 2012, competing in four races last season.
      Prior to this he competed in the Italian Formula Three Championship in 2011. Last season he raced in the Auto GP as well as in the European F3 Open Championship where he secured three victories, three pole positions and one fastest lap.
      Facu Regalia: “I’m really happy. The last three months were pretty busy to close this deal. It´s a pleasure to become an official ART Grand Prix driver, because I know that I´ll have a very good package for fighting for the results what we have in sight. It’s fantastic that ART Grand Prix relies on me. I really want to appreciate the effort coming from my sponsors, Varlion, ACA and of course my own family and other people such as Adrián Campos or Eduardo Ramírez, who make my present and future in racing look nice. We´ve an excellent working team and everything is set to aim for the best possible results. Mr. Rosales - The ACA president- and Mr. García Remohí, CDA President in Argentina, were the other two key people because they really want to have another Argentine driver in Formula 1 in the coming years. GP3 is a very important championship, always racing at the same tracks as Formula 1. Another great novelty is the new car with new aerodynamic kit, more power, new brakes, so this challenge is even greater. I´m looking forward to driving the new GP3/13 at Estoril next week, and I was told this car is quite similar to the first-generation GP2 car.”
      Frédéric Vasseur: “ART GRAND PRIX has closely followed the evolution of Facu including his performances during GP2 testing. His GP3 debut during the 2012 season was by nature very complicated, but he was instantly knocking on the door of the top 10. This in itself is a sign of quality that never fails to impress. Moreover, Facu is an intelligent and talented young man who is also very mature for his age. He will fit in well with ART GRAND PRIX and in complete harmony with the team’s 2013 GP3 driver line up.”

• By Mark H
      Since the beginning of the GP2 Series back in 2005, Lotus GP has won multiple titles in both the drivers' battle and the Team Championship. The motivation and talent have always remained the same and to achieve their objectives in 2013, which are to regain top place in the sport, the team will rely on a great combination of two very talented young drivers.

Lotus GP is proud to announce that Daniel Abt will team up alongside James Calado for the 2013 Championship season. The young German knows Lotus GP well after defending its colors in the 2012 GP3 Series. In his first year in the discipline, Daniel made a strong impression, only missing out on the title by two points. Promotion to Team Lotus GP2 is a logical progression for both the team’s overall objective and Daniel’s racing career.
      Daniel Abt: “I cannot tell you how happy I am to have the opportunity to race in GP2 with the best team I can imagine. Already in GP3 we had a really good relationship and worked together well. We finished second in the championship it felt like the right choice for me to go one step higher in my career. Of course it is always a big challenge for the drivers and the team but I am sure we have the perfect package to achieve great results. I want to thank Frederic Vasseur and all my partners for believing in me and offering me the opportunity to do the 2013 season in GP2 together with Lotus GP.”
      Frédéric Vasseur: “Daniel is the GP3 driver who has improved the most over the course of the last season. He finished either first or second in the last seven races, showing he has what it takes to fight for the title until the final race and that he fully deserved to win. His mind, his raw talent and his ability to adapt and grow convinced Lotus GP to help him take the step up into the GP2 Series where he will have a professional environment that he already knows and which has the culture of winning.”
    • By Mark H
      Lotus GP is pleased to announce an extension of their current partnership with the Racing Steps Foundation and James Calado. The young, RSF-backed British driver defended the company colours successfully in GP3 and GP2 in 2011 and 2012, making a strong impression in his debut appearances in both disciplines while training for the highest level of motorsport, F1.

After a successful year in GP2 last season, where he secured two pole positions and two victories, James Calado, the series 'top rookie', will now take part in his second season in the F1 feeder series with high ambitions.
      James Calado:
      “I am absolutely delighted to receive the ongoing backing from the RSF that enables me to take part in this incredibly competitive championship again and even more so to do it with Lotus GP again. I feel privileged to be a part of this project and to have the support of great partners without whom none of this would be possible. In terms of speed, we showed in 2012 that we were right up there with pole positions and a couple of wins. Now I know the car, the tyres, and the team I'm expecting to be fast and to win as many races as possible. I'm looking forward to 2013 and I hope I'll improve after such a good year in 2012.”
      Frédéric Vasseur:
      “After an exceptional first year which was part of his continuity from GP3, James is a Lotus GP driver for the third consecutive year. This is a project that fits perfectly with the company, one of the missions being to assist drivers in climbing the motorsport ladder. In 2012, James had several achievements in GP2 and with the support of his environment, which allows us to work together harmoniously and confidently, we approach 2013 with one clear objective, to be champions”
    • By Mark H
      Lotus GP is pleased to announce an extension of their current partnership with the Racing Steps Foundation and James Calado. The young, RSF-backed British driver defended the company colours successfully in GP3 and GP2 in 2011 and 2012, making a strong impression in his debut appearances in both disciplines while training for the highest level of motorsport, F1.

After a successful year in GP2 last season, where he secured two pole positions and two victories, James Calado, the series 'top rookie', will now take part in his second season in the F1 feeder series with high ambitions.
      James Calado:
      “I am absolutely delighted to receive the ongoing backing from the RSF that enables me to take part in this incredibly competitive championship again and even more so to do it with Lotus GP again. I feel privileged to be a part of this project and to have the support of great partners without whom none of this would be possible. In terms of speed, we showed in 2012 that we were right up there with pole positions and a couple of wins. Now I know the car, the tyres, and the team I'm expecting to be fast and to win as many races as possible. I'm looking forward to 2013 and I hope I'll improve after such a good year in 2012.”
      Frédéric Vasseur:
      “After an exceptional first year which was part of his continuity from GP3, James is a Lotus GP driver for the third consecutive year. This is a project that fits perfectly with the company, one of the missions being to assist drivers in climbing the motorsport ladder. In 2012, James had several achievements in GP2 and with the support of his environment, which allows us to work together harmoniously and confidently, we approach 2013 with one clear objective, to be champions”

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use