litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Magnecor Ignit Leads

Bramble111s

My leads are about to arrive and I know Beefcake fitted his own.

The man who supplied them laughed down the phone at me and said I would find it interesting fitting them myself! (perhaps he knows me! :blink: )

With no technical experience (apart from mountain bike building and setup)

also no garage full of tools. I don't even think I have a socket set, how big a task

will this be? Will I need the rear clam off? wheel arch liners etc?

What tools will I need?

Is there a faq post on doing this somewhere?

If I start and get stuck how many weekends will I not be driving my liz??? WAH!:jawdrop:

Many thanks

James

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calm down, it's not that hard. :jawdrop:

The only problem is that the coil is underneath the inlet plenum and above the driveshafts, so you need to take the back piece of undertray off to get access to it. Having it up on ramps is useful.

Once you've got the undertray and the spark plug cover off you don't need tools, just fingers that you don't mind losing the skin off the knuckles.

It's quite tricky to get enough leverage on the old leads at the coil end to get them off the connections, but once you've done that the new ones go on fairly easily.

My tip is do one at a time, as they're in a dodgy order at the coil end (1-4-2-3 from the passengers side IIRC, but don't take my word for it!).

Oh yeah, you won't get them back into all the clips - there are some under the inlet manifold which are a pig to get your pinkies to.

Hope this helps,

Dave

I could just about touch 3 of the coil connections from above, but not the end one and couldn't get enough purchase on them to get some of the leads off.

Beefcake is considerably taller than me though, which will definitely help. Worth a try before messing about with ramps, anyway.

• 5 weeks later...

Still not got these on.

Have stuck my arm down the engine bay,

Couldn't feel much, no leads to speak of,

although I did get a very oily arm!

I really stuck my arm in a long way, but couldn't even get the sniff of a lead, even after finding the really good pictorial guide to fit these.

I guess I'll be taking the floor plate off, having never done this kind of thing I was wondering if when I put it back I need threadlock or something, as I wouldn't want it to drop off! I have never used threadlock and it does worry me to be supergluing bolts!!!

Do I need this, or a torque wrench etc?

Idiot proof advice required. thanks again, I know its getting boring now,

I have ICQ'd Beefcake to death on this one. In my dreams after I have done this I will be able to attempt any work on the car with ease!

HA HA!

Hmmmmn. This doesn't sound like a good idea Scott. I'm always a little worried about messing with things when they belong to me or involve possible injury. Obviously if it belongs to work then it's a different matter ;)

One of us has to be competent at something anyway. If we can identify this competent individual and have them on stand by just in case then it could be a goer. :D

That could work.. but be honest, it takes the fun out of it! :D

Much more fun to tinker around when you have a vague idea of what you are doing and someone who also has a slightly different, but equally vague idea about what they are doing yet isn't there and can't see what it is happening is at the other end of a forum ;)

Archived