litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Squeaky Heater Fan

dss123

Not too sure what is causing it but it just started happening.

Switch the heater fan on, very high pitched squeal!

uncomfortable on the ears! so can't use the fan at the mo'.

Could it be a dry bearing or something caught in the mechanism.

Where do I start looking to get to the fan and motor?

Cheers

Dunc

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunc,

I'm no expert on the fan assembly but I know if it needs replacing its a clam off job,having said that the unit usually just dies as oppossed to making nasty noises,I know early elises had problems with some sort of packing dropping down into the fan and making a noise...best bet is to download the relevent workshop manual section,available for free on the interweb,and see if theres a way of getting to it easily.

Not much help I'm afraid,but its a start.

Regards

Jon

Cheers Jon,

That makes sence, it happened all of a sudden and does sound like something is rubbing against the fan?

I'll check the service notes to see if it's possible to get to with the clam on!

I hope so - or it will be a cold winter!

Dunc

Edited your post Jon as you gave away your BCBBS login details, the url holds a number like:

&access=123456789

If you post a link from the BCBBS make sure you remove that number like I have to your URL above otherwise when people click your link they log in as you and can post in your name :P

Got the same squeal with my S1. Started about 3 months ago - just after I replaced the clutch - but I'm sure it's just coincidence.

Looked into removing / replacing the fan and it stopped! I get it intermittently - but not too often - so I can't be arsed with taking it all out for the time being.

Leave it alone for a couple of weeks & see if it goes like mine did!

Cheers

mark

:D

Leave it alone for a couple of weeks & see if it goes like mine did!

Ding!

Cheers mate, planned to do it at the weekend and it seems to have stopped now!

Oh well, I'll keep my eye (or ears) on it.

Thanks for all your tips.

Cheers

Dunc

We had the same, which ended up being wet leaves that got sucked into the intake and up into the fan. When they dried out they were chopped up nicely and blew into the cockpit, but no more squeal.

Made some covers that go over the intakes behind the grill which has stopped any more crap getting sucked up.

:)

Archived