litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Bedding-in New Pads

Steve J

Just fitted the SBS pads to the car today.

What's the best way to bed them in?

1. Gentle use for a couple of hundred miles

2. Several increasingly hard stops

3. Gentle then a few hard stops

Need to get them up to full capacity for Sunday.

Tarticus

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They will be very noisey for a while once the initial surface wears off, mine were terrible on the way to Zandvoort and silent on the way back.

I'd do 3. A bit of normal spirited driving, then a few big stops. This will bed them in initally, they will soon bed in fully on a trackday.

Cheers Mark,

Didn't notice that they were noisy when I tested them. They do clunk a little when first you press the brake, but I assume that's because they're slightly smaller (to give space for expansion when hot) than the AP ones and will move a bit.

I'll get Fiona to give them a work out before Sunday :lol:

If they clunk too much get some buffer pads. My original set where very clunky, current (3rd) set are better.

They are very squeally, on the way out on Friday I got told to 'just go away it's too noisey' by one of the Eurotunnel staff. :lol:

3. Gentle then a few hard stops

Need to get them up to full capacity for Sunday.

Agreed. Mine still shreak on hard application and have an annoying squeak evident at lower speed - catching on caliper?

But you WILL need them bedded in for Sunday - I've just mapped out Chris's route!!

Steve,

I'd go for option 3.

When I did my brakes last year, this seemed the best approach from the people I spoke to.

Gentle breaking initially for a few miles just to make sure everything is properly seated and to get a bit of heat into the brakes. Have a quick check for scoring or anything untoward.

Jump back in, find a quiet stretch of road then perform 3 - 4 hard stops from 60mph down to about 30mph. Break as hard as you can without locking the wheels.

Then 3 - 4 from 80mph down to 20mph

Brakes should be nice and hot now.

Final run, brake from 80mph to a standstill. Then hold the pads against the disk as hard as you can for a minute or so.

Obviously you'll need a safe place to pull in and stop.

Then drive away and let everything return to normal operating temps.

You should now have a lovely solid, repeatable pedal.

(some people don't bother with the holding against the pad thing)

Worked a treat for me.

Dunc

Steve,

I'd go for option 3.

When I did my brakes last year, this seemed the best approach from the people I spoke to.

Gentle breaking initially for a few miles just to make sure everything is properly seated and to get a bit of heat into the brakes. Have a quick check for scoring or anything untoward.

Jump back in, find a quiet stretch of road then perform 3 - 4 hard stops from 60mph down to about 30mph. Break as hard as you can without locking the wheels.

Then 3 - 4 from 80mph down to 20mph

Brakes should be nice and hot now.

Final run, brake from 80mph to a standstill. Then hold the pads against the disk as hard as you can for a minute or so.

Obviously you'll need a safe place to pull in and stop.

Then drive away and let everything return to normal operating temps.

You should now have a lovely solid, repeatable pedal.

(some people don't bother with the holding against the pad thing)

Worked a treat for me.

Dunc

Shit - I've got 50 miles of the M1 and then 10 miles of CC traffic to bed these buggers in tomorrow. Better leave early.... :)

Just got to work - did give them a good workout when I had a play with a VX220.

Not too bad at all. Squealed a bit when I was parking up but because I park underground I think the sound was being magnified a bit.

Bite is fantastic - a bit clunky when you initially brake but not too annoying.

On a similar note I had some green stuffs put on recently and when I back out the drive and brake (ie going backwards) they clunk a bit then again the first time i brake going forwards. I guess there is a little bit of play in them. I did get the spacer pad things but whether they were put in the right place I don't know.

Work well though. No squeals and a nice solid feel, though I'm only a road goer!!

Archived