litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Leaky Roof

JIM S111

Hi Everyone!

I have a 52 plate 111S Elise. I have noticed that if it rains heavily the soft top leaks at the front top corners of the side windows and when the roof is totally saturated the roof leaks at the rear on the passenger side. With regards to the passenger side leak, the waters seems to enter the car from the corner of the inner plastic cover on the side rail of the roof.

Am I being a little unrealistic to assume a Lotus soft top should be totally water tight??

Cheers

Jim

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's never going to be totally water tight but can be pretty much so.

The windows can be adjusted to make a better fit, can't completely remember how to do it, think it might have something to do with the adjustable screws below the door cards.

Unfortunately yes, it is unrealistic to expect it not to leak. I haven't found anyone who says theirs is 100% watertight (you wait, they'll all appear here now).

I improved mine no end by spraying with Fabsil, it now only really leaks if I leave it out in a very heavy downpour or if I'm a bit hasty putting the roof on and don't line it up right.

don't think you can totaly cure the leaks to the rear..... but there are some modifed door seals for the front with an extra water trap in the top corners, had some fitted in winter and so far no leaks reported at the front edge

Dave

don't think you can totaly cure the leaks to the rear..... but there are some modifed door seals for the front with an extra water trap in the top corners, had some fitted in winter and so far no leaks reported at the front edge

Dave

did they do anything like this for the S1 as mine tends to fill up....?

52 plate 111s????

I had one of those,and the damn roof leaked like a sieve.Apparently they had a bad batch of roofs where the water leaked from the inside of the cant rails this was due to the folks who made them riveting through the roof material.I had 4 (yep 4) replacement roofs and they were all as bad as each other,in the end I fixed it myself.

If this sounds like the same problem let me know and I'll post the fix,be sure to try the above first though.

hth

Regards

Jon

PS. My 111r roof is totally watertight,perfect in every way and has never so much as let a drop of water into the car. :D

52 plate 111s????

I had one of those,and the damn roof leaked like a sieve.Apparently they had a bad batch of roofs where the water leaked from the inside of the cant rails this was due to the folks who made them riveting through the roof material.I had 4 (yep 4) replacement roofs and they were all as bad as each other,in the end I fixed it myself.

If this sounds like the same problem let me know and I'll post the fix,be sure to try the above first though.

hth

Regards

Jon

PS. My 111r roof is totally watertight,perfect in every way and has never so much as let a drop of water into the car. :D

Thanks Chaps,

I Have already treated the roof with Auto Gylm roof sealant and this improved things. At the front corners of the windows there seems to be a very small gap between the rubber seal on the roof and the seal on the windshield arch. I have tried re-fitting the hood several times and this gap remains. Do any of you have this gap?

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

Might be worth a trip to the dealer,you can adjust the windows in lots of ways, ie in, out, up, down, tilt in, tilt out, tilt forward and backwards, tbh its a pita to do but for someone whose used to doing them its a 5 min job.

hth

Regards

Jon

Archived