litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Seized Brake Calipers

Stevie

Hello again,

Back from travelling the world for 6 months, with an empty wallet, nowhere to live and no posessions other than my Elise. Could be worse I suppose...

But I have siezed brake calipers... It's been stood outdoors since xmas, being taken for a spin round the block every 2 weeks or so by my brother.

Now I find the brakes are terrible, they grind, judder and generally dont work. I assumed they'd soon return to normal after some use, but after at least 100 brakings they haven't improved. The braking faces of the discs show massively variable shiny-ness. See pics. Only the outer face of the front right is normal. The other 7 braking faces look untouched by the pads (although not all as bad as the 2nd pic.)

So I'm assuming the calipers have seized. Questions:

1) Is it plausible that 7 out of 8 pistons can seize after 6 months of minimal use -or am I missing something...?

2) Has anyone stripped and reconditioned theirs before? ie Is it possible for the (fairly competent) home mechanic or is Mike at Horizon due for a visit from me?

3) How much is it likely to cost? (i) to do it myself (are there any seals in the caliper to replace) (ii) Horizon.

Now where did i put that magic money tree...? :jawdrop:

(In case it matters, the car has done 30k miles and it has 3k old green stuff pads on. It still has the original disks on.)

Steve

post-177-1121640589.jpg

post-177-1121640609.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fairly confident the disks will be fine, they just need the pads pressing against them! The nice shiney one looked as bad as the 2nd picture before I used it, it's just that the pad has cleaned it up.

Should have let someone from MLOC look after it for you Stevie. They would have made sure there was no rust build up on the disks :clap:

How was the trip? Still with the floosie you went with? ;)

The disks look like they'll either need skimming or replacing.

Cheers Beefy, it's actually good to be back. (this may wear off once the novelty of safe, familiar, hygenic food wears off...) :P

Steve, the trip was great. Yes am still with Michelle. You can see all our adventures here if you have a spare couple of days. The videos index or the peru page are best. www.hpjw.co.uk/adventure

On the brakes front, I've had a preliminary chat with Wendy at Horizon, and current thinking is that "The biggest problem is the rust glaze on the brake disc face." So maybe I'm on the wrong track and the calipers arn't seized? Would rust glaze resist the brake pad if the the calipers were working OK? If so, that may be good news as fitting new disks may be easier than overhauling the calipers...

So it may be new disks all round. If so, any suggestions for 'good enough and a decent price' disks? I don't need anything hot-snot or fancy. I'll beat you all using talent, not equipment. Maybe not... :)

May be able to make the Lincs run. I need to convince Michelle that it will be fun. She did like you Beefy when we met at Aldon (she's a poor judge of character!), and Steve, she can have fun smacking your arse for calling her a floosie! :D

Update for completion of thread.

Just spent a day getting dirty. Turns out Wendy at Horizon was spot on (no suprise there!)

The calipers weren't seized, the rust glaze was just so thick it was stopping the pads biting, so once that was removed (many hours scraping with a chisel) it then took maybe 20 gentle brakings before everything felt 90% right, and they're now back to perfect after the drive down from Leeds. Sorted. Spending at least £260 on new disks avoided for a significant while. B)

Stevie

Archived