litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Replacement Discs

bermudabob

I'm going to have to replace my rear discs as they are extremely knackered (might do my fronts at the same time, as they don't look too much better...)

I was looking on Elise Parts and they have a pair of 'S1 Turbo Grooved' discs going for £124.96 + VAT. Does anyone know if these are any good?

If not, whats recommended (and what pads should I put with them...)?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turbo groove are apparently better than original and cheaper. I'm assuming you don't want to go down the route of alli belled ones?

Pads

EBC Greenstuff - Cheap; ok road pad; crap when pushed hard

Mintex - as above

SBS - Medium cost; almost as good as Pagids

Pagids 42-1 - High cost; excellent fast road/track pad

Pagid 14 - High cost; excellent track pad but poor when cold

Think I'd go for Turbo groove disks with SBS pads = best value combination

my 2p

Means the rotars (steel) can be removed from the central (alloy) bell. You only need to replace the rotars each time which is cheaper. Initial outlay is more expensive though. See Eliseparts.

Bob,

The "alli bellied bit" it just a way of taking some weight of what is quite a heavy item. The braking surfaces are steel and this "ring" is bolted to an alloy "hub" (the alli bellied bit).

Look the bees knees and you just need to replace the rotors as they wear.

They are quite pricey though so I opted for the elise parts Turbo Groove.

I almost agree with Steve J, greenstuff are a bit pants when pushed hard but Mintex 1144's are waaaaaaaayyyyyyy better.

Dunno about the sb... whatevers though have heard them mentioned a bit recently?

Very please with my Turbo Groove, 1144's and stainless hose combo for fast road stuff.

Like with all these things, you pays your money, you makes your choice

Dunc

P.S Must type faster!

This is all very useful...!

Most likely to go with the Elise Parts Turbo grooved ones at the moment - still interested in the Ally bellied ones - where can I fine a web site that has them?

Also need to know where to get SBS pads - Elise Parts don't seem to have them.

I've got to replace my discs at the next pad change too. Also looking at the Turbo Groove discs. Just wondering, do these then spew brake dust everywhere as opposed to the standard Elise discs?

Also, being a mechanical ignoramus, how do I actually know when the pads need replacing? Aside from a mechanic telling me I mean.

Scrap that, best discs are HiSpec Vented and Grooved ones (don't really need the grooved bit but it wins on GJOB)

Cost about £70 each inc VAT - 01322 286850

Pair them with the SBS Protrack.

Scrap that, best discs are HiSpec Vented and Grooved ones (don't really need the grooved bit but it wins on GJOB)

Cost about £70 each inc VAT - 01322 286850

Just fitted these to mine Bob, just as good as the Turbo's, just havnt got the plating on them which wears off anyway!

Dave

No, but they do make the ones for Geary...

TBH it makes bugger all difference as a complete new hiSpek disc is the same price as a new rotor for the ali belled ones... but without the huge outlay in the beginning.

Archived