Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

I'm Taking My Baby Home

ipanter

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a great day on Saturday at Lotus.

Set off from Rugby at about 10am and arrived at about 12:15. Spotted a rare Lotus coach(!) on A11 on the way so gave him a toot as i went past.

Incidentally, does anyone know what that great big monument is by the side of the A11?

Got to drive a S2 111R round their test track, absolutly loved it. Don't believe what anyone says about S2s being gay, this one certainly wasn't! I loved the engine and the brakes were great too.

There were 3 cars on the track at a time and the GF who was watching didn't see me get in the car, but she soon realised which one i was in! I was the one lapping the other drivers! She was stood next to the wife of one of the other drivers who was on at the same time as me, and apparently the chaps wife seemed a little embarrast that he was driving so slowly compared to me! I did explain to everyone afterwards that i do drive an elise everyday, so they shouldn't feel too bad!

Before i went out on the track with John the instructor, i explained to him that i owned an elise and that i had been on a 1st Lotus training day, so i asked him if he would teach me to powerslide the car round the bends, unfortunately he told me that he couldn't do that on the SYS day, oh well. He did however comply with my request that on our Hot Lap (where he drove me round) he slide round the hairpins! It/he was brilliant!

After that we went round the factory, i was hoping that it would be working at the time but i suppose for H&S they can't allow that :blush: . It was really good anyway, saw the VX220 and federal elises/exiges. I also had the guide a little stumped with one question (% of components shared by all models?) i asked.

On the way back, a Blue 911 (carrera 4 i think) came up quickly behind me on the A14. i pulled over to let him past, and when i did he shot by. It was then i noticed the smoke pouring from his right offside tyre, so i put my foot down and started flashing my lights, i reached 120 and when i got a bit closer he slowed slightly and pulled out of the overtaking lane, i gingerly pulled up beside him (realising his tyre could blow at any mo). I tried to indicate to him that he had a problem with his tyre, fortunately he slowed right down and pulled into the next layby, i drove on. I hope he did have a problem or he is gonna hate Elise drivers!

All in all had a great day, would recommend it to anyone.

Ian

Sounds like a great day out !

Must get one done sometime...

Incidentally, does anyone know what that great big monument is by the side of the A11?

A war memorial to the (lovely) american soldiers that were posted in East Anglia during WWII (the area is very flat, so loads of airfields, incl many USA ones).

After that we went round the factory, i was hoping that it would be working at the time but i suppose for H&S they can't allow that :)

Ian

I think they only work Mon-Fri dinner normally.:)

If you book a Factory Tour I think you would see their employees hard at work, but they only hold the tours on Wednesdays. :)

We're going in Sept. B)

Archived