litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Red Pipe Syndrome?

jimbobdunkley

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If i remember correctly, you have difficulty getting the car in gear when it is hot. The pipe becomes soft and expands as you put your foot on the clutch. That was why Bob asked if you had trouble getting it in gear when hot. Basically the master cylinder expands the pipe instead of operating the slave cylinder fully. Hope that helps.

Mertin is exactly right - see your 'Clutch Bite Point' thread for an explanation of whats required to replace it.

It is definitely something you want to get done - at some point it will be a real pain in the arse, and it only gets worse as the pipe ages.

Cheers,

Chris

Nearly died Martin when I read through the Eclat Excels previous bills and found they had the Red Hose syndrome, AND REPLACED IT WITH THE SAME !

Still twas 1989 then :lol:

Its red in colour, Tecalamet/mit pipe, used to be used on small low pressure hydraulic systems too. Like the ones on pikey tipper trucks.

With my S1 the giveaway was always trying to engage reverse when the engine bay was hot.

Fluid changes are a good thing anyway, but before changing the clutch hose for a braided jobby, it is worth checking the cables on the gear shift.

Think we just went full circle there. :drive:

I was chatting with a guy at work who owns an Esprit. He had his red plastic hose replaced for a braided one last year - nice to know that Lotus fitted them across the board.

V. unfortunate to have had yous replaced with another red item!

I was chatting with a guy at work who owns an Esprit.  He had his red plastic hose replaced for a braided one last year - nice to know that Lotus fitted them across the board.

V. unfortunate to have had yous replaced with another red item!

Together with clutch Master n Slave cylinders and engine out clutch replacement !!!

FFS (sorry) what a bill to get :drive:

You can bet your sweet cheeks, it was the red hose.

Bob, best of luck trying to change that one the mind boggles  :lol:

BONUS BALL

Since my old knacker is Front Engined the red hose is only a couple of feet long from master to slave :drive:

Compare that with a poor old Elise - maybe at a guess 6ft long + a bit !

Bob, sorry i forgot your engine is in the wrong end  :lol:  So someone paid a fortune for a clutch etc instead of 2 foot of hose  :drive:

Me thinks so.

When we meet up again, I'll bring the cars bible, sorry service history.

original bill of sale too...

convinced more money has been spent than the original value of the car.

Sorry - thread hijack.

Back to the red hose ...

Archived