litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

911 I Am Tempted

Bramble111s

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the 911's seem to get a bad rep for being "widdow makers", etc. and also being expensive to keep on the road. They are v.reliable if kept in good order, and very easy to work on if you get a 993 or earlier (which are air-cooled).

The 964's are the most modern "cheap" ones at the moment, and most porsche people seem to have a bit of a funny view of them; kind of seen as a stop gap between 911 and 993, and not really a variant in its own right. IMHO they are good value at the moment, and are a big step on from the earlier 911's, with a lot more creature comforts and more modern bits-n-bob's!

After the early 70's 2.7 911 RS, the 993 is my favourite shape, however they are mega bucks still now, as the last air cooled 911, and considered to be the peak of the air cooled boxer-6's evolution

Im lucky enough to get to drive my mates cars from time to time (70's 911 targa and a 993 GT2) and really like them; they can be driven using low-down torque for a relaxing drive, or hustled, although you need some space for throwing them about (esp. the early ones, as they can have a bit of a mind of their own towards the limit!)

As with most cars, have a look at as many as you can; they are very good looking cars, and a lot of first time porsche buyers buy the first one they see... ...not always a bad thing, but BEWARE!!!... spending an extra 2-3 grand on a good one is better than spending 5-6 grand putting one right!...

Like beetles (god, I hope my mate isnt reading this) they rust around the battery box, the A-Pillar infront of the doors, the sill/B-pillar joint, and the inside rear of the door. The doors themselves are usually pretty good, and dont tend to rust out, but the above places are the worst really, and expensive to sort out. TAKE A MAGNET WITH YOU!!!

Other than that, all the usual things need looking at; bushes, engine, gearbox, etc... There is a Midlands section of the porsche GB owners club and the guys on there are very helpful; they can send you to lots of links and resources. If you want a service/workshop manual to look through, give me a shout, I have one on CD somewhere I can copy for you

b :)

That would have been my opinion too Scott, in the past.

It was always my dream to own a Lotus, and I do love the car.

I am struggling to identify whats changed, the only two points I can come up with is

1) I use it everyday, in hindsight I think this is a mistake, and one would get more fun from using it at weekends, although I do drive our Skoda sometimes, also my work commute is especially boring, with no fun parts unless I detour on the way home, which does make me smile.

Sadly with a young kiddie, babysitting calls more often than the country lanes.

2) The seats just aren't great, I have always had a weak lower back and whilst I don't think the car has made any difference to this, getting in and out, and shaken about does get tiring. After all I am 33 this year! I did think maybe S2 suspension or an S2 might be the answer, but actually I prefer the S1 body work and S2 suspension might just be more money which I wouldn't see back next time I get jittery. In an ideal world, a family sports saloon,eg convertable Jaguar plus Elise or 7 would be my top choice, however I am too sensible to run 2 cars until better off.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car and would recommend it to anyone who wants one. As the last owner said to me, its the best car I've ever had.

Appreciate the 911 comments, but those seats were sure good! :)

In confusion, Bramble.....

Im lucky enough to get to drive my mates cars from time to time (70's 911 targa and a 993 GT2) and really like them; they can be driven using low-down torque for a relaxing drive, or hustled, although you need some space for throwing them about (esp. the early ones, as they can have a bit of a mind of their own towards the limit!)

Drive a 993 GT2 :)

you are one lucky boy...

except at the moment... he stacked it backwards through a hedge in a rather unfortunate "OH S**T ITS STARTED RAINING" moment about 3 weeks ago...

he just stumped up to get it fixed though, so hopefully will get a blast in it this summer (if the weather ever clears up again)

b :D

try a M Roadster. Heated 2 tone leather seats and nice interior with FAF performance to boot - not too much of a hairdressers with the M on the boot and you can sell it quite easily when you come back to the elise...which you will do...trust me.

M Coupe is a great car... i love the quirky looks :lol:

Bramble, why not change the suspension then (although the S2 stuff is stiffer than std) and get the better seats - my Corbeau ones are very comfy, even on very long journeys!

Porsche 993 Turbo = :P

Love them. But back on topic....if Trev is about he used to own a 993 before the Exige, not sure what his knowledge of 964's is like though. Might be worth dropping him an email

Scott, the seats and sus option may be the way ahead, but whilst I am looking I might as well look. Not sure how to make sure the seats really will fit me though... the pain is my lower back area and the bladder seems to inflate halfway up the seat, not in the lumbar area...

Enjoyed a frisky corner yesterday....sun is shining etc etc

Archived