litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

911 I Am Tempted

Bramble111s

I realise this isn't really the place, but I figure I should get honest opinions?

I am tempted by a Carrera 911 3.2 or really a 3.3 turbo, the car would be 1989, so a whole 10 years older than mine. I understand the Porsche's seem to go on forever, bar a little rust and top end rebuild, new clutch etc. The engine sound was wonderful, although I didn't have a test drive, just a sit in... test drive is on offer, but I am trying to resist! Also the seats were so damn luxurious, I feel I must be getting old!

A 3.2 is £16k so bit more than my Elise, the 3.3 Turbo is on at £24k, so a whole lot more, also one could buy all sorts of Scoobys or Civic R's for that new! Not that I think I want one of those options.

Can anyone say anything nice about a 911 or do I need to go to the 'other' forums? All advice appreciated. (flame suit on) :)

Saw a Tamora for £22k as well, but figure that really isn't a daily drive!!!! :D

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ask Inferno! Sure he can give you some advice! :)

I love 911's, was tempted when I was thinking of getting the Liz.

The only thing i was worried about was if the engine went pop and I had to shell out another 10k for a rebuild!

Just try and get as much advice as you can before you buy!

Mmmmmmmm 911s!!!!!

Should be a really reliable car so long as it's been looked after, i would imagine that most people who can afford a £60k+ car will look after it!

Parts probably arn't that much for them. Places like GSF and Euro Car Parts cover a very wide range of parts.

Got any pictures of the ones your looking at??

911's are nice - just glorified bugs really and should hold up well.

Im not keen on the late 80's ones tho - remind me of wall street era.

Id have to go for a very early one from the 60's or a 993 if it was to be my everyday hack.

Hello mate,

I know very little about porkers but a few mates have had / still have them.

Great motors, suberb build, classic looks etc etc (although my mates Boxter rattles and squeeks way more than my S1!)

I guess the RS or club sport variants are closer to the ethos of the elise and I guess that is the point - are you looking for a little more refinement or do you still want the "stimulation" you get from your Liz?

Another mate has just bought a 993 C4, lovely motor, really low miles and well looked after. Went for a spin at the weekend. Felt very quick and rock solid. I wouldn't say the hairs were standing up on my neck though - and we were going some!

I think that's the problem with cars like the 911. You need to be really shifting before the smiles come, and when you are going that quick, it's very easy for it to go pear shaped! Particularly in the earlier models!

On the right road I can get real enjoyment from the Liz at very legal speeds. With the roof off and the exhaust wailing, even 40 mph can feel rapid. Passengers are always amazed at how fast it "feels" at very low speed. To be honest 80 mph in a 911 can still feel a bit pedestrian.

I also guess running costs will be higher, and they do rust, no matter what people say!

Love to hear what you decide but drive as many as you can to make sure they deliver what you are after!

Dunc

I'm with Jon on this - I'd love an early 911 or a 993 but would always be too worried about the cost of repairs. Also I get everything I want from the Elise, on road it's great, on track it's fantastic. Could always do wiith more power, better springs/dampers and there's plenty of reasonable priced options for that

Confussed, Lotus cars go round corners.

It's taken Porche (yes I know) 30 years to make one that can go round a corner.

Sure as hell it ain't a 9-11

For that money ...... begs a fair few questions, but if it's what you want to do go for it.

I've had a few rides in 993s, 996s and one very special ruf r-turbo. They are all great cars but very different to the elise - i would assume the older cars are similar but just a bit more lairy in the tail out handling department.

The 996's are very competent and as said before are therefore a little 'dull' compared to the elise.

The two 993's i've been in were a 993 rs and my mates 993 TT. Obviously totally different cars - the TT you could certainly use as an every day car but the bills could be frightening when compared to a lotus. Change the suspension on your elise 600-1000 depending on type - my mate had a bill for 2200 + VAT! Servicing is certainly double that of an elise. The 993TT is more involving than the later 996's but again you can have more fun in an elise at lower speeds.

The 993rs.... thats another matter though. wow.... No carpets bare metal inside, full roll cage, bucket seats etc.. I thought elises were noisy and pretty hardcore - this thing was insane. If funds ever allow an rs has to be had.

Pistonheads has a good porsche forum - i'm sure people will be able to give you some good advice on there

Rich

Archived