litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Egg Strikes Back!

Ladders

Just had a call from Egg pretty much a year after my accident!

Anyone unfamilier with what happend can find it HERE

The outcome was that even though I had a witness who saw the motor bike overtaking her and accellerating as she approched the island, before ploughing into me, when I was already on the island, without even having time to brake. Egg saw fit to put all blame on me, even though the police couldnt find evidence to put blame on me, and even though Egg and the solicitor working on MY behalf didnt even bother to contact the above witness!

Anyway, it turns out that the company who loaned me a hire car while my car was being bodged back together at the 'repair shop' have not been payed by Egg as they only pay them if they can be bothered to stick up for their customers and be arsed to blame the other party it would seem!

So I rang them up and they said they have pretty much washed their hands of the whole thing and I can expect to cough up for the loan car I borrowed during the period my car was in the garage.

Obviously I want to know if there's anything I can do about this? or am I going to have to 'Cough up payment' as the rather 'nice' Sharon suggested at EGG?

Dave (Pi**ed off!) :D:D:angry::angry::angry::(

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need a proper lawyer for this sort of thing, but ideally you should be threatening to sue Egg for negligence. They can't abide this sort of publicity and would surely settle out of court.

Presumably the hire car supplier had a contract with Egg, not you, so have no comeback on you?

I had a similar thing; two witnesses, one pedestrian and one offduty police man... someone went through a red-light, smashed into my car. Insurance company didnt use the witnesses in court, so my word (17 at the time) against that of a 45yrd old mother, rushing to the hospital with an injured kid; I lost... ...my "legal representation" got an earful for about 15mins straight outside the court room where everyone could hear; she was v.pretty, but crap

anyway, onto the costs. My mate is having the same problem at the moment. got hit up the ass which shunted her car into someone else. Car was in for repairs and she was quite happily running around in a hire car (paid for by insurance co.). The insurance decided to put blame on her rather than the 3rd party, and then turned around and said because it was her fault she had to pay for the hire car (day-to-day basis for 4 weeks; you do the math... ££££! )

she revoked the verdict and refused to sign anything, so the case is going to court, so hopefully the ins. co.'s verdict will be overturned and she wont have to pay anything.. Im not sure what happens if she looses.

I can speak to her and find out what the procedure was she followed, but Im not sure whether it will apply to your case. She had a load of street maps, plans, photos, diagrams, etc., which if you dont have already, might be a good starting place if you want to take the ins. claim to court.

b :D

Greame, the company that lent me the car was sorted out throught the garage that repaired the car. Naturally I assumed that my insurance would cover it, or that the bill would be passed onto the 3rd parties insurance as the claim went 50/50.

Had a chat with our receptionist who has done a law degree, she said I need to find my letter they sent saying the claim went 50/50, Well I'm sure thats how it went eventually?, then I should be ok. If not I'm looking at a £1300 bill :D

Ben, sounds fairly similar to me, but think it would be to late to try and prove blame onto the motorbike a year on now!? :D

get a proper lawyer as mentioned above

same tyhing happened to me when my lotus skidded and someone doing 90mph 2 miles away didnt see what happened came driving str8 into me. insurance wouldnt pay a penny out cause i was wearing flip flops..... :D

Initially, at least, you could try simply forwarding all correspondence from the hire car company to Egg with a letter repeating your initial post here (tidied up a bit :D emphasising the important bits about witnesses and police observations) and a comment that you're obviously being contacted by mistake. I assume her insurance company paid up in the end ? If so, you could copy it to them as well.

Out of courtesy, you could copy your letter (to Egg) back to the hire car company so they know you're not just binning their letters.

Then, if Egg doesn't get bored and tired, you might need a solicitor. If you can avoid that, though, so much the better.

Chris

In my prang last year I had motor legal protection and am now using it to pursue directly the uninsured driver who cost me my excess, NCB and several years loading on my future policies. Claim got passed from Axa to RAC and ended up at Colemans-ctts solicitors, PO Box 3257, Walsall. WS1 1YX. 01922 430007. www.colemans-ctts.co.uk. They have a special unit for motor claims. You could try them?

In my prang last year I had motor legal protection and am now using it to pursue directly the uninsured driver who cost me my excess, NCB and several years loading on my future policies. Claim got passed from Axa to RAC and ended up at Colemans-ctts solicitors, PO Box 3257, Walsall. WS1 1YX. 01922 430007. www.colemans-ctts.co.uk. They have a special unit for motor claims. You could try them?

Willing to listen on this one Graeme. Do you give - can explain - what all this legal protection bit is on motor quotes.

Not taking the p this time, but without reading the fineprint, but what are you saying ...

Get insurance, then pay another premium on top to get the insurance that we think we have in the first place ?

Should we now be looking at the MOST cover we can get irrespective of the annual premium.

i.e. £300 fully comp - but useless if an uninsured CHAV whacks you

or £400 fully comp - with the legal begal job to send them to Guantanamo

The legal protection cover is generally a fixed rate thing that costs about £25 a year if I remember correctly... I usually take that ontop of my policy, however having dealt with DAS before (see above post) Im not sure they are worth the money.. I think I could have represented myself better in court, and thats the only time you acctually need the legal cover; for a normal undisputed claim, it would be dealt with without legal cover anyway

I'll be looking for my letter tonight to see how they eventully settled. You can be sure if they said it went 50/50 they will be getting an extremly snotty and patronising fax :blush:

If not then legal advice does seem to be the way to go B)

I am still pee'd off from last year when i was car-jacked for my subaru.

I ended up with a metal plate and 8 bolts holding my left arm together. They caught the scumbag as my car had a tracker fitted on it, and at court he pleaded guilty as the car chase that ensued was caught by polce helecopter. He got 5 years.

Anyway, when i was released from hospital, i had to pay £348 to get my car released from the police lock up :) . As the scumbag had damaged my gearbox, i also had to claim on my own insurance to get the car repaired.. another £400 :angry::angry:

I have not got a penny of this back.

And they say we have justice in this country :(

Archived