litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Egg Strikes Back!

Ladders

Well, found my letter from EGG back from Nov. Looks like they had just abandond me and decided to blame just me! B):)

Anyway, the girl at work who's a Solicitor is going to ring them today to see if I can get any joy - can't see it myself really B)

I feel a thread on every car forum in the uk being posted up! - something like "EGG, whats in it for me!, sweet f*ck all!"

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would get your own legal representation if I was you.

"Sue Egg for negligence" !!!!!! Very hard thing to do is the negligence.... I would suggest you go for "Breach of Contract with Inferred Terms". Much easier.

They failed to represent you and deal with the matter as you would reasonably expect under the terms of the contract.

I would suggest you write to them asking to see a full copy of the file so that you can consider the facts with the full information before excepting 50/50 settlement. See reason for this below).

Then I would suggest you write to them outlining what you expect / expected them to do stating that you reject the 50/50 settlement pointing out that you have a witness who is independent that backs up your case. Await your reply before threatening legal action.

I was stationary in two accident that I have claimed for against other drivers, On both occasions the insurance was going to settle for 50/50.

The first was a council van coming head on a country lane and went down the side of my car. I had managed to stop and he was going to fast and locked up the wheels.. I took some pictures of the tyre marks that proved he was the person moving at the time.

The other was at a junction and a parcel force lorry that was turning right decided to then turn left. But did not have the room to do so and crunched my front drivers side wing. I had remained stationary through the whole event. He claimed that it was me who was at fault by cutting him up on the inside. I had a council workman as a witness to the event.

Parcel force like many coaches, buses, big lorry companies and public service vehicles don't have insurance, they have vehicle indemnity instead which means that they pay the bills and their legal departments just won't pay out as a matter of policy until you issue court proceedings. They then go for the cheapest options.

This save them vast amounts of money with the people who give up because its to much hassle.

In both instances I had legal cover as well, which the insurance companies don't like to use just incase it cost them money.

I ended up writing to the my insurance companies stating that I was unhappy with the service I felt I had received and that I felt that they had failed to deal with the matter correctly pointing out what I felt they should have been doing give the circumstances. Further pointing out that I had legal cover which I intended to claim on.

I gave them the ultimatum that if they didn't bring legal proceedings against the third party who was at fault I would pursue a case of "Breach of Contract with Inferred Terms" against them.

You have to remember that their contract is for service to you at such time an incident should happen, but in reality they look at what is the cheapest option to them.

To cover a bit of damage to your car and then load your premium to get a good slice of the money back works out cheaper than pursuing the matter, the only person that really loses out is you the insured.

Once they had received my letters they then started to take things seriously and in both cases settled both claims in a matter of a couple of months fully in my favour. You do have to still keep on at them. I would diary everything regarding communications I had and would always ring first thing on a Tuesday morning every week for an updates, making notes on what was said.

You also have a right to have a copy of all correspondence relating to the matter. So ask for it (in writing), they may try and flob you off with data protection etc. but insist pointing out that your solicitors copy you in with all correspondence when acting on your behalf and you expect the same. You will get it in the end.

They will hate this because they know that at best this will also prove their failing or lack of action.

This must be done before you threaten legal action because they will clam up, say its so you can consider the other parties position full before you would even consider the 50/50. Not that you would anyway.

I think you will find that if you do the above they will get things moving rather quickly.

Hope that helps.

Archived