litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Suspension Squeek (i Think) Best Course Of Action?

GreyKnight

Hi all

Just today I've been getting a squeeking coming from the driver side rear wheel. I can only replicate the problem when the car is stationary by bouncing it up and down on the driver's side. It's a very obvious "ee aww, ee aww" kind of sound (yes, like a donkey :wacko: ).

I'm thinking worn bushes? The car had its C service in May last year at Horizon Motorsport and the suspension was upgraded to S2 kit and the wishbones checked etc. Surprised this should start now.

Is there a simple self fix, or do you reckon it's a trip to the dealers?

Cheers

Graham

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Graham

Yes the springs & dampers were replaced May last year (the S2 components), but not the bushes or ball joints although Horizon were asked to inspect the other components & report back and if necessary, lubricate the ball joints. At the time that noise could be provoked by some hard work and particularly during hot weather so it's most likely to be the grease in the ball joints drying out.

Got the same noises from my current car and have asked Horizon to take a look next week when it's in.

Thanks Graeme. To me it does sound like a "dry squeek" rather than anything else. Some of the guys on SELOC are saying they think it's toelink trouble, but I'm not convinced it's that complicated.

I'll probably have the wheel off and investigate over the next few days...

Cheers

Graham

If it only happens when it's hot, it's almost certainly the inboard end of the toe link. A mate had that as well. It's next to the exhaust, and gets very hot from that.

It also cools quickly, though, so difficult to find unless it gets inspected the moment you arrive with the problem happening !

If it only happens when it's hot, it's almost certainly the inboard end of the toe link.  A mate had that as well.  It's next to the exhaust, and gets very hot from that.

It also cools quickly, though, so difficult to find unless it gets inspected the moment you arrive with the problem happening !

So in that case what was the solution?

Yep, just seen the SELOC thread but don't agree that it's the toe-links themselves which are worn (unless there's been a marked deterioration in the last few months. If that was the case you'd feel the back end was a little loose and wandery because of the play that had been introduced into the system. However, both the wishbones and the toe-links have ball joints at their ends and they can all dry out. Eventually the ball joints will need replacing - one of those Elise things.

In the same way as the steered wheels up front have track rod ends linking the suspension to the rack, the toe links perform a similar function at the rear.

it will be the dry toe link. happened to mine. You can get it re-greased or get a new one. better to get a new one and get the heat shield - it only dries out as it is near the exhaust. annoying as hell.

it will be the dry toe link.  happened to mine.  You can get it re-greased or get a new one.  better to get a new one and get the heat shield - it only dries out as it is near the exhaust.  annoying as hell.

May just re-grease it in the short term. Could do without hundreds of pounds of labour costs at the moment. Thanks for the input though guys, much appreciated. :wacko:

Hmm, well there's been a development on this issue. Coming back from Mallory Park this evening I pulled up to a junction near home and a metallic clink came from the same wheel as the squeek and then as I pulled away the wheel was clicking and the click sped up the quicker I went (kind of like having a stone stuck in the tyre).

Ooo err, I thought and drove slowly home... What's happened now and is my wheel about to fall off I wonder... :blink:

Archived