litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Lazy Starter Motor

mambosasa

When I start the car, I get about a second delay, then it starts turning over slowly, a single cycle at a time, before picking up speed and the engine kicks in.

Is this an indication of the brushes going in the starter motor, weak battery or something else?

Please advise as I am sure I will end up being stranded somewhere if I don't sort it out soon. :drive:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I start the car, I get about a second delay, then it starts turning over slowly, a single cycle at a time, before picking up speed and the engine kicks in.

Is this an indication of the brushes going in the starter motor, weak battery or something else?

Please advise as I am sure I will end up being stranded somewhere if I don't sort it out soon. :drive:

Sure your not driving my TVR, same symptoms when HOT, VERY VERY HOT,

fans cut in, all the amperage goes to the fans, forget starting till engine cool.

Ask WHOOSHY and the boys, they had to keep push starting me.

First time I've heard this on a Liz though.

Sounds like a tired battery! How old is it? also check the battery leads especially the earth connection to chassis.

My Elise is a 99 model and looks like its still on its original battery. I wonder if I hook up a charger on the battery whilst still on the car would make a difference without blowing up fuses.

Okay, I hooked up the charger on the battery and it seem to be turning as it should. It looks like I will have to buy a new battery then - bah! Any suggestions on which and where?

Archived