litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Black Wheels Looking Dull

chris_h

Even when my wheels are clean they don't look very good anymore, they seem to look quite dull.

When they were new they looked a nice satin gloss look (but they weren't shinny gloss).

Anyone else with S2 exige think the same ?? or come up with a solution ??

Wondering if some car bodywork polish on the wheels would work ?? think the wheels are powder coated ??

Thanks

Chris

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Chris.

I have the same problem on mine. I even noticed that some of the paint is actually coming off towards the middle of the wheel - so clearly not from curbing (not that I would do such a thing...)

Car is booked into Nick Whales next Thursday for new tyres and brake pads when I get back from the Netherlands, and they will have a look at the wheels for me then.

I'll let you know how it goes.

S

I even noticed that some of the paint is actually coming off towards the middle of the wheel - so clearly not from curbing (not that I would do such a thing...)

I had a few chips on mine that looked like little stone chips on the inside edges of the spokes.

I've touched them up with satin black paint from a model shop. Paint matches well, can't see them at all now.

Know what you're saying about the wheels - I cleaned mine and they seemed very dull afterwards - almost like the surface is too dry. Could maybe wax them, or rub them with something shiny - the stuff that blacks up your tyres?

Are the Exige wheels painted or coated,the reason I ask is that Lotus have been having alot of trouble with the 111r wheels coating coming off,they are made by Rimstock. I'm due to have one replaced on Thursday,but when I met the warranty fella, there was another guy there with a 111r and his wheels were in various stages of disintigration,from little spots around the rim to total loss of coating on one of them,he was given four new wheels under warranty.

Probably not related at all, but worth bearing in mind.

Regards

Jon

Steve/Chris

Try using Auto glym wheel polish,it comes in a spray can just spray into a cloth and polish into the rim.Halfrauds or any other Auto glym stockists sell it for around £4.50 :blush:

Steve/Chris

Try using Auto glym wheel polish,it comes in a spray can just spray into a cloth and polish into the rim.Halfrauds or any other Auto glym stockists sell it for around £4.50 :blush:

Is that what you've done on yours ? Do you have to do it everytime after cleening or just occasionally ?

Archived