litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Camera Mounting

bermudabob

I'm looking to do a few trackdays this year and I'd like to mount a camera in the car so I can see how crap I am...

Where can you get a decent camera mounting from? I can probably source the camera itself from friends/family.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have a harness bar then you can make one that'll fit on there for les than a tenner. Tried the one i made earlier on wednesday at donny. works pretty good.

Or you can make one to fix onto the roll bar, but that means you need the roof and roll bar cover off on the track.

Might be able to post some pics later if your interested.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the b-hauge suction (SM1) and super clamp yesterday.

Excellent products from a nice friendy company.

They are actually made by manfrotto (one of the best camera and light attachement companies). The suction mount is designed to hold a 15kg light so no problems with a MiniDv camera !!!

If I come on the run on sunday I will bring it with me if people want a look. Might try it out in some different positions on the car and get some video of the run.

Chris

I've used the b-hague many times Chris and they are great... with a bit of pissing around you can get it to fit on the front screen too :)

Rus - seen as i've now got harnesses what did you use to make yours - it looks like a good, cheap solution.

Mine is clamped to the harness bar using an exhaust u clamp(43mm i think) then just a bit of drawn steel(from b&q probably) bend it in a vice by tw@tting it and drill holes in the right places for the camera and the u clamp to fix to. thats pretty much it. I'll mail you some pics later if you want, can't post them because they're too big and i've no idea how to shrink them! (computer numpty)

Russ

Suction mounts generally suck ass through a bendy straw. ;-)

To mount a camera on an S1 use a cullmann universal clamp + ball&socket head and mount the camera upside down (flip the picture with software)

For S2 or harness bar mounting use a manfrotto superclamp + B&S head.

then you can do a little bit of this...

http://www.jimbocam.com/folembray/v3/folembray-14.mpg

and a little bit of this....

http://www.jimbocam.com/folembray/v3/folembray-96.mpg

but not this...

http://www.jimbocam.com/croft/v1/cro1-1651...splitscreen.mpg

if you have manual focus - focus about 20 yards in front of the car - this usually gives a reasonable result

also get the rear view mirror as much out of the way as possible

HTH

Archived