litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S2 Exige Windscreen Change

Beardo

Had the car all of a week and now ned a new screen - rock (no exaggeration!) bounced up of a passing car and hit the screen cracking it from top to bottom.

Insurance company pus me straight through to RAC Windscreens who then couldn't find the car in their database so I will have to take it in to the local depo to be changed.

Am I being paranoid here expecting them to feck it up? Any other S2Exige owners had to have a new screen?

Thanks

Rich :lol:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've already had one screen change plus a repair and i've now also got a huge crack. So have just booked in for another new screen.

Peter Smiths did mine last time and are going to do it again this time. They did a good job last time. I just pay them the insurance excess and they bill my insurence company the rest. (including a new lotus sport sticker)

I'd prefer them doing it rather than a bloke from auto windscreens etc thats never see an Exige before. Check with your insurence company to see if your main dealer can quote for it and say that the car wasn't in their database.

The screen is the same as an Elise if you do have to have it done at auto windscreens.

I'd prefer them doing it, rather than a bloke from auto windscreens etc thats never see an Exige before.

I agree totally. :lol:

I would think Peter Smiths or any other dealer would get auto glass to do it and mark the cost up.

I seem to remember a thread sometime ago when people were saying that Auto Glass did a good job. All they have to do is loosten the clam a bit to get the screen down behind.

Personally if you dont trust the dealer to do a service or carry out warranty repairs correctly. Why would you trust them to fit a screen?

Just my 2p's worth

Dave

Hi Chris

Have you seen the order and the confirmation? Mind you I dont know where Auto glass etc get their windscreens. I would not think there are enough elises around to warrant the aftermarket people getting involved. (Not for windscreens anyway)

Dave

But like was said before i'd prefer someone thats atleast worked with elise/exiges before rather than someone thats never seen one.

When I had my chip done by Autoglass the bloke said he'd never worked on one before. So dropping the clam forward etc would they know what to do properly.

I don't think many people have got problems with PSSC's work, especially compared to someone thats never seen an Exige before, its mainly their prices.

My insurance is paying for this and it dosn't affect your no claims.

RAC..... at your own risk....

I took my S2 111s to RAC Autowindscreens to sort out a stone chip and needless to say they screwed it up and their drill bit bounced down the screen causing a big scratch...

At the time I asked if they had done any replacement screens on S2 Elise and they told me they hadn't but said that looking at it, it shouldn't be a problem because they could see the edge of the screen near the body work.

They then tried to polish the scratch out with jewellers grit and made a big flat spot on the curve of the screen... Then having trashed the screen didn't tell me. They handed me the keys and said there you go.

I walked out to the the car and instantly noticed the mess up... I then went back in and they said the repair in not guaranteed and tough.... I then had to wait for the manager and they agreed to replace the screen on my insurance.... because they don't guaranty repairs..

I contacted the insurance company who said that they won't cover the replacement if the windscreen company had screwed it up....

I went back to the RAC said that the Insurance won't cover the screen replacement and that the RAC will have to replace it FOC..

The Manager told me to basically get lost.... I then spent ages trying to sort things out with their customer services department.... Which was a very slow process of dealing with them and the area manager.

In the mean time I contacted Lotus to find out what is involved in replacing a screen and they told me that you have to undo the whole front clam shell and move it forwards several inches. But you have to be careful because if you move it to far forwards you could damage the wiring loom if you have not unplugged everything correctly.

If this happens Lotus would not cover this under warranty.... They also forewarned me that they know of a number of cars that windscreen companies had tried to replace windscreen without moving the front clam forwards and as a result had damaged the cars bodywork and windscreen mounting by trying to take a short cut or not knowing what they should be doing.

I relayed this the RAC and stated that there screen centre had told me that they had never done a Lotus Elise S2 before and had no training in doing so... With this in mind I was not happy in letting them touch the car again... I explained that I was not prepared to let someone with no knowledge of Lotus Elise S2 do the work

After the threat of legal action for 'Breach of Contract with Inferred Terms' they said that they would get back to me and I gave them a time scale in which to do so... They didn't get back to me, so I paid Nick Whale to do the work instead... As you would suspect Nick Whale do their normal stunning job of replacing the windscreen, which looked as good as new....

The RAC then wrote me a Letter stating what they was prepared to do, which was to let their Erdington Depot staff who have not received any training or had any experience with S2 Elise, replace the windscreen.

It also didn't help when they posted the letter to some bloke in London who I didn't even know. But by this time I was out in the Gulf for the start of the war...

Luckily the chap in London kindly forwarded the letter and the incorrectly addressed envelope on to my home address from the address on the actual letter...

I further contacted the RAC Windscreens Customer Services and the Area Manager on my return and explain that because I had not received a response by the set time/date I made my own arrangements to sort out the replacement.

I forwarded a copy of the bill which they responded to by again offering to get their guy to replace the now replace windscreen.. I then called up the area manager and Customer service who said that they would not cover the replacement costs.... The area manager said that he would under no circumstance refund me my costs in sorting out the matter..

I took some legal advice from a friendly solicitor, then issued a county court action for 'Breach of Contract with Inferred Terms' to recover the costs of the windscreen, my expenses, my time that I had to take off work to deal with it and the court cost.

Instead of just paying the costs to replace the screen all the extra damage now almost doubled the bill that they had to cover.... Within a week or two of issuing the action in the court I receive a cheque in full and final settlement..

Deal with the RAC windscreens at your own risk but don't expect customer service.... You have been warned......

Hi Chris.

I know this is changing the subject a little but were did you get your Lotus Sport sticker for the window screen, how big is it? does it go the whole length of the window screen? and how much?

Cheers. ;););)

Hi Chris.

I know this is changing the subject a little but were did you get your Lotus Sport sticker for the window screen, how big is it? does it go the whole length of the window screen? and how much?

Cheers. ;)  ;)  :D

Don't know about Chris, but you can get them here! ;)

Hi Chris.

Cheers. :D  :D  :D

Got mine with the car from Lotus, but i think you can get them a lot cheaper than lotus. Not sure where Steve and Fiona got theirs from ??

Archived