SpoonZ

just been to look at the following

1999 T Elise

titanium

25k miles

loads of history for year dot

absolutely immaculate condition

very well looked after

wondering with the market being so crap, just sold my scooby for 2.5k less than asking :(, what people would say it is worth?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

£11500 - £13000 as a private sale.

All depends on condition and what's been done to it. Top end would need things like a new exhaust, S2 suspension, cambelt, possibly steering rack, bushes. Either that or spend £2K getting everything sorted.

it is completely standar

what do you mean top end?

only thing i noticed was an occasional knocking coming from the suspension over bumps, seemed to be from rear, like it was hitting bump stops. Is this normal for elises?

what else should i look for or check?

Top end, as in top end of the price bracket.

If completely standard means a 5 year old exhaust (£350+VAT+ fitting), knackered suspension (Koni suspension is noisy, especially when it's worn, factor in £700 for S2 springs & dampers + fitting & geometry setting), then deduct these from a £13000 top end price.

Then look at condition (life) of tyres, battery (is there a receipt for a new one anywhere). Bigger items include cambelt change, which should accompany a "C" service (£400+), track rod ends, steering rack and rear toelinks. If the suspension is noisy, you should look at the condition of the ball joints (may just need lubricating).

Any work required in that list should lead to further deductions.

Best bet is to take someone who knows Elises to go with you, and ideally drive the car to look for evidence of deficiencies in those areas.

Top end, as in top end of the price bracket.

If completely standard means a 5 year old exhaust (£350+VAT+ fitting), knackered suspension (Koni suspension is noisy, especially when it's worn, factor in £700 for S2 springs & dampers + fitting & geometry setting), then deduct these from a £13000 top end price.

Then look at condition (life) of tyres, battery (is there a receipt for a new one anywhere). Bigger items include cambelt change, which should accompany a "C" service (£400+), track rod ends, steering rack and rear toelinks. If the suspension is noisy, you should look at the condition of the ball joints (may just need lubricating).

Any work required in that list should lead to further deductions.

Best bet is to take someone who knows Elises to go with you, and ideally drive the car to look for evidence of deficiencies in those areas.

cheers mate

would suspension be knackered after 25k?

exhaust is sport one so maybe not after market as is induction.

Would it be worth me getting an AA inpection?

dont bother with aa. get someone off here to have a look for you. either that or get mike from horizon to have a look and give u potential bills for near future - in order to knock off some ££ from the asking price.

suspension might be on the way out also. budget £500 to get the s2 stuff anyway despite whether it is ready for it or not. it will improve the ride ten fold and will lower the stance of the car as well. well worth getting it done.

tip for the day: chrome orange 111s on autotrader for 12.8. been for sale on pistonheads as well for a while. looks lovely with low mileage to boot. if i was 'single' id go for it :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

ok it sounds straight and he wants around 11.5 it.

if car has only done 25k i cant see the suspension being a prob

ill shake the wheels to make sure and listen hard, also going to check for HGF.

tyres are mint and had a new battery recently.

i know it sounds daft but from the sellers home/area/garage etc etc you can tell its genunine, not the type of people to scam, its also recently been to chris foulds and in him i trust

I needed new shocks on the front of my S1 after 12k miles,the Koni standard fits were a bit rubbish,if it sounds like snooker balls when riding over minor bumps/potholes then the chances are it needs new ones,also as above change to S2 suspension it'll feel like a new car.

In fact its amazing how many of the hardcore S1 owners have changed to softy S2 Suspension :)

Seriously, pay someone with some knowledge of Elises to give it a good going over even if it costs you 100 quid its money well spent and you will save at least that in the future.

Regards

Jon

Archived