litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Advice On The Brecon Beacon's

R.I.B.

Hi All,

Next week i'm off to Tenby, Wales and instead of sitting on all the main roads or motorways i'd love to tour through the Brecon Beacons for the first time.

I've come up with a route based on a couple of roads i've heard mentioned a few times on here, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or roads that are a must?

Thanks in advance!

Phil

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sour...580902&z=11

Edit, another option... I could plan a route there and a different route back home, if the weather is great on both the days i'm traveling.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My work computer doesnt like Google Maps (especially at lunchtime when everyone is on the web) so cant see your map, but, if you can head over the A4069, brilliant road with fantastic views. It's used by Top Gear/Evo/5th Gear etc as it has a real nice hairpin towards the top. Got a video of it here when I was up there back in 2008:

MLOC TV Link

My work computer doesnt like Google Maps (especially at lunchtime when everyone is on the web) so cant see your map, but, if you can head over the A4069, brilliant road with fantastic views. It's used by Top Gear/Evo/5th Gear etc as it has a real nice hairpin towards the top. Got a video of it here when I was up there back in 2008:

MLOC TV Link

MMMMMMM, that road looks like good fun :) , good job the A4069 is already on my route from one of your previous recommendations Jon :drive:

I'd picked a few roads mentioned on MLOC and tried to stitch them together whilst not going back on myself and made a sort of zigzag up & down through the Beacons starting from Abergavenny to Brecon via the A40, A4067 from Sennybridge to Gurnos, then A4068 to the south of the A4069 then finishing north on the A4069 in Llangadog.

Cheers

Phil

MMMMMMM, that road looks like good fun :) , good job the A4069 is already on my route from one of your previous recommendations Jon :cheers:

I'd picked a few roads mentioned on MLOC and tried to stitch them together whilst not going back on myself and made a sort of zigzag up & down through the Beacons starting from Abergavenny to Brecon via the A40, A4067 from Sennybridge to Gurnos, then A4068 to the south of the A4069 then finishing north on the A4069 in Llangadog.

Cheers

Phil

There are a few unclassified roads that spur off from the A4125 that heads west towards the A4067 and Heol Senni which is a great road too. All the roads around there are great.

The northern areas of the beacons North from Brecon are great. The B4520 North at Upper Chapel is great- it branches to the West as the B4519 that is unbeliveable as it goes through a MOD range, and is a great little road. I have fond memories of that road last summer :D

There are a few unclassified roads that spur off from the A4125 that heads west towards the A4067 and Heol Senni which is a great road too. All the roads around there are great.

The northern areas of the beacons North from Brecon are great. The B4520 North at Upper Chapel is great- it branches to the West as the B4519 that is unbeliveable as it goes through a MOD range, and is a great little road. I have fond memories of that road last summer :cheers:

Cheers Andy, I might cut through Heol Senni on those unclassified roads like THIS It seems to shorten the journey a couple of miles too.

The B4520 is a little too out the way so I might see if I can do it on the way back or another time.

Phil

And if you fancy a really good blast out to Wales, try this one:

Head out to Worcester on the A422 (a nice little warm up).

Then head out towards Leominster on the A44 (very fast with some great corners).

Then head out towards Rhayader, again on the A44 (ditto and ditto).

Then head straight through to the Elan Valley and STOP, take in the stunning scenery, have some lunch and relax before doing it all again in the reverse direction. Or...... head out to Aberystwyth on the mountain road via Devils Bridge (I've yet to do this leg, but its on my radar for sure).

In my case I set off from the Warwick area, so for me its about a 250 mile round trip (huge fun though :cheers: ).

Cheers,

Eric

Cheers Eric, ive done the A44 to Aberystwyth, have to agree that those are some fast fun roads! One night mid week after work me and my mate drove there, had a beer then come back :lol:

i'm yet to do the devils bridge and also want to do the evo triangle one day soon :)

There's another road I love as you head out towards Wales.... The A456 from Bewdley until you join the A49, there's some slower parts but after clows top there's some amazing twistys with a mini version of eau rouge as I like to call it! :) at the moment my fav bit is being resurfaced though :(

Cheers Eric, ive done the A44 to Aberystwyth, have to agree that those are some fast fun roads! One night mid week after work me and my mate drove there, had a beer then come back :P

i'm yet to do the devils bridge and also want to do the evo triangle one day soon B)

There's another road I love as you head out towards Wales.... The A456 from Bewdley until you join the A49, there's some slower parts but after clows top there's some amazing twistys with a mini version of eau rouge as I like to call it! :) at the moment my fav bit is being resurfaced though :(

I did the Evo triangle soon after getting this Elise and I have to say that I was mildly disappointed. The problem is that somehow it has acquired "legendary" status on various forums, so I was expecting something spectacular. Unfortunately the reality is that it only has one "good" side (as in huge fun), and the other two are, well, just about average :(

Will have to investigate your Eau Rouge though, sounds good :)

Cheers,

Eric

• 1 year later...

And if you fancy a really good blast out to Wales, try this one:

Head out to Worcester on the A422 (a nice little warm up).

Then head out towards Leominster on the A44 (very fast with some great corners).

Then head out towards Rhayader, again on the A44 (ditto and ditto).

Then head straight through to the Elan Valley and STOP, take in the stunning scenery, have some lunch and relax before doing it all again in the reverse direction. Or...... head out to Aberystwyth on the mountain road via Devils Bridge (I've yet to do this leg, but its on my radar for sure).

In my case I set off from the Warwick area, so for me its about a 250 mile round trip (huge fun though :cheers: ).

Cheers,

Eric

ive driven this road many times its a great road but very narrow in some places , we have driven a lot of the roads in this area as many years ago we did a lot of off roading , still have all the ordance survey maps

Archived