litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S2 Exige Owners

Beardo

Evening!

Think very seriously about buying an S2 Exige for 1st March.

Only worry I have is that i will be doing a fair number of miles on the road each day (60) and don't want to become complacent with the car, also wondering what its really like on the Motorway. I know I know, not what is for (as the misses keeps telling me) but unfortunately I have to go to work :drive:

I've had a couple of Elises already so know the downsides of getting in/out, wearing stuff out qucikly etc. Just wondering how the Exige compares when your not on the test drive and not ragging its arse off? Is it soft enough to be liveable as a day to day car?

Rich B

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just wondering how the Exige compares when your not on the test drive and not ragging its arse off? Rich B

Ermm, you have to rag its arse off, its like, compulsary, almost illegal not to! :clap:

60 miles? no probs!

I'm sure Mr Halfpenny will have something to add to this thread.

Reg :drive:

I've done 12,700 miles in mine since July. Still enjoying every minute of it. If thats a good enough answer !!

If my maths are right that means i've averaged 58 miles a day in it !!

I regulary do long motorway journeys in it (even though i've got a jaguar for that) i just can't resist going in the lotus.

Last week I went to london in it. Was great driving through leicester Square lots of people taking pictures of me. Even one person video'd me :drive:

I find the seats in the lotus really comfortable (performance pack option) and i use the 4 point harness evey day. I find work shirts don't get anymore creased than with normal seat belts.

Chris

Did I hear my name ?? :clap:

Chris_h should be able to help too - he has racked up a more milage than I. :drive: (He obviously types faster than I do !)

60 miles a day is not an issue. I drive once a month to Newcastle on business, twice a month to Lincoln (from Derby) to pick up my daughter.

Apart from there being a little exhaust resonance it is highly do-able. I was going to get a sports zorst, but the dealer advised against it - good advice too. Best thing is when people (work !) call me in the car, at 90mph with a bluetooth headset....no one can hear you speaking ! :(

The Exige is my everyday car and I've had it for around 18 months covering 7.5k miles, in all weathers. Your biggest expense will be tyres. The rear A048's last about 6k and cost £220 - £260 to replace.

Apart from that - Enjoy !!!!

agree with the bluetooth headset, I bought one too.

Waste of time, only works if your at lights or driving around the city. I have the standard exhaust to ( I wouldn't want it any louder for motorway driving).

Halfpenny presume you mean 8 months not 18 !!

Only thing I can add is that if I was getting one for every day driving, I would go touring pack instead of performance pack - I've found on longer journeys with the perf pack the side of my right leg gets achey from the seat holding me in! Maybe I sit differently on a motorway/dual carriageway - Chris has the perf pack and done more miles than anyone, so I guess its down to the individual.

Because of the nature of my work I don't drive it every day and have to have it as a second car :drive:

I only dream of having a job where I could have it as an every day car :clap:

I don't think motorways are the problem because most of them have a smooth surface... It when you are stuck in towns where the roads have been dug up every other day where I notice it... It amazes me how deep some of the man hole covers have become.

Not to mention the hight of some speed bumps...

Thanks guys, all good info.

Again not the real point in having an Exige but has anybody looked in to getting some normal tyres for day/day use leaving the yoko's for track days?

Borrowing Pete Smiths demo for the evening so will see how I get on, unfortunately has a stage 2 exhaust so not really representative of the standard car but looks the nuts.

Can you recommend any Insurance compaines? Got a decent quote of Elephant which reduced by 10% when I put the misses on? But she hates even the idea of an Exige so how she'll get on with a yellow one with a loud exhaust is probably not worth thinking about!

Thanks again... :crybaby:

Rich

I thought exactly the same about the tyres when i got them but i have been amazed at the level of grip in the wet.

Definetly leave the yoko's on they are a brilliant tyre.

Peter Smiths Exige is a lot louder than mine. The stage 2 exhaust is even to loud for many trackdays !!

I'm only in derby (chellaston) if you want to hear mine.

Sorry to go OT, but a quick question for Chris :

Having never driven a car with harnesses in before, I've been using the normal seat belts up until now (can't go fast yet anyway - another 500 miles to go!). I've had a play around with the harnesses, but want to make sure I wear them properly - how do you put yours on? From what I understand you tighten up the lap strap first so its tight over your hips, and then plug in the shoulder straps and make them as tight as possible?

Wasn't worried about the supposed lack of stick in the wet/cold - just seems a waste of a tyre to wear it out going down the M1. Thought I might for go the lack grip day to day for something that wouldn't need replacing every 4 months!

Also asked at PS about the Supercharger kit - They reckon it will be released as a kit, not as a complete car and would be available in March. Aslo mentioned £2500 which I don't quite believe seeing as Lotus wanted about £3K for the old 135 kit which was just a head threatened with a dremel.

Chris,

Which exhaust do you have?

Rich

I'm not Chris (!), but I've got the Stage I Exhaust. Not at all as rorty as the Stage II, which is a shame because that sounds great, but it seems pretty pointless having a sports exhaust that is too loud for trackdays. If I wasn't going to track the car I would have gone for Stage II.

The Stage I sounds nice enough, and it isn't very boomy on the motorway, but I've not heard the normal exhaust so can't compare with that I'm afraid.

Rich,

Yeah but when you get to the exit of the motorway and the island its worth having the yoko's :crybaby: Plus you might find that you start taking the country route rather than the motorway. Much better roads to get from Derby to manchester than the m6 !!

I have the standard exhaust. I'm not sure if i'd upgrade the engine, its fast enough for me at the moment. Nothing i've come across gets close to the performance, also not sure if a supecharger whine next to my left ear would annoy me ?? Used to drive a jag xjr so I love superchargers, but even in that i'd turn the music up on long journeys to get rid of the whine.

Mattyp,

Thats the same as I do, always make sure the lap belt is very tight. Remember that you want the belts how you would have them in an accident as they don't lock or have pre-tensioners.

You will find that when you get to a T junction you will need to loosen the shoulder straps so that you can learn forward. A bit of a pain but well worth it. I haven't used the normal belts for about 7 months !! I've also got some harness pads to make them more comfortable.

Demon Tweaks do them in the same make as the harness's (I got black with yellow writing). link below

Demon Tweeks SCHROTH pads

Archived