litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Trickle Charger Advice

PPPMAT

I'm going to get one of these soon. Someone recommended the optimate III to me - any good??

Also you can get an atatchment for the power socket in the car - but it has to be live when the ignition is off. Does anyone know if it is live on the S2 (111s)

Thanks

Matt

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got an earlier Optimate. Highly recommended.

I ran the permanent wiring through to the permanent Live and Earth of the interior light. Probably harder in an S2 as the light was moved.

Can you get onto any of the switches behind the dash ? Permanent lives on most of those, I imagine.

Hi Matt

I bought the Airflow Conditioner which I believe is very similar in operation, although the Airflow version stops trickle charging once the voltage has peaked and will only cut in again once it has dropped. These are available direct from their website: www.airflow.uk.com for £39.99 post free and has been spot on!

Only early S1 Elises have a live cigarette socket I think, so I wired in the supplied lead & socket direct to the battery and popped the socket through the hole in the inner wing part on my S1; no idea where you'd put it on an S2 though.

Richard :D

I have an optimate 3 that i used to use on my bike, i have just wired it onto the battery terminals and have cable tied the connector under the bonnet, just a case of plug it in and away you go, oh yeah and dont forget to unplug before you back out the garage, like i did in my last car oops so now i leave the bonnet up to remind me

Ditto the airbove with comments on the Optimate 3. For ref, it does exactly as per the Airflow; charges the battery, stops, monitors the battery every 30mins and tops up as and when required. Excellent piece of kit.

I also fitted it with the (weatherproof) connector tywrapped into the front compartment. As you say, I believe you can buy a cigarette lighter attachment if your battery and lighter socket are permanently connected (which I don't know on yours). To be honest though, the front compartment method works well anyway (by the time you are out the car it is just as easy to open the front as it is to get to the lighter socket).

Thanks guys - I'll try my mobile phone car charger - see if the power outlet is live when ignition not on..

otherwise I'll just wire it up. Optimate 3 looks like the way to go

cheaper than Lotus alternative

Matt

Archived