litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Exhaust Burning Through Clam

Ladders

Had thought I'd managed to adjust the exhuast (after bending the hanger this way and that for 3 hours :) ) so it didnt burn into the clam, again!

But noticed it's started to do it again, even though the pipes sit in the middle of the hole ;)

So was wondering, would it be a good idea to rivet a some sort of stainless steel at the top of the hole to protect the bodywork?

Cheers for any advice!

Dave

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit surprised at this, Dave.

Ordinarilly, if it's not touching, it's hard to imagine enough heat getting to the clam to burn it.

I know the chav brigade staple metal plates above their exhausts - please don't tell me you're serious about that option !!!

A metal plate only works if it's held away from the material it's supposed to be protecting, giving some reflection of heat and hopefully acting as an insulator by keeping a layer of air in between as well. If it's in contact, the heat will go through it almost as if it's not there. After all, you're replacing a (eg) 2mm think piece of air (with low heat transfer) with a 2mm piece of metal (with some reflection of heat but far better heat transfer than air). Overall effect will be negligible at best.

The other reason chavs use them is that their engines are so knackered that they burn loads of oil and discolour the plastic around the exhaust. With a metal plate, they can take a brillo pad to it and not damage their lovely paint jobs.

I'd get the fundamental cause investigated rather than trying to stop the effect it's having.

Chris

someone at mallory had one of them. As they are metal - do they not attract heat and warm up more than the plastic would anyway ?

ive also got a prob with my exhaust. One of the hanging down brackets on the drivers side is rubbing against what its hanging on and squeaking. rubbed it with grease but it keeps wearing off. Doing my nut in squeaking.

Honestly, if you could actually attract heat, you'd be the richest man on earth (even richer than Bill Gates). You could harvest all that energy and solve all the world's energy problems in one easy step.

In reality, metal just keeps heat longer than air or clamshells, so it feels warmer for longer once heated up.

Fwiw,

I had a similar problem with my S1,don't know what zorst it was but in the end the only solution was to use some Ali sheet to protect the clam.I understand what Chris is saying but the zorst was just burning the paint so it did the trick so to speak!

If you need some ali sheet let me know its about a mm thick and can easily be cut to size.

hth

Regards

Jon

Ladders,  are the exhaust mounts knackered ?  That might explain some of the movement.

Well done Chris, you guessed the right answer! :blush:

Had to do an oil change and replace the cat, and one of the hangers had gone!

Put some ali tape at the top of the hole to hopefully protect the body untill I get it sorted .

Archived