litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

How Do I Get More Power For My Elise

carsarecool

I have a S2 111s and have upgraded to include a B&C SS sports exhaust and an ITG induction kit, combined adding approx 18 bhp, up to 174 ish.

The car is quick, but strangely doesn't 'feel' as quick as I know it is, (a 'sense of speed' is a wierd thing). Went in a run in an Evo FQ330 the other day :) and the thing felt sooooo much quicker, although only about 1 sec separates 0-60 times.

I know that 330 bhp vs. 174 is always going to feel completely different whatever the weight of the car, but the experience has got me wondering....

Anyone know how I can add some extra horses without affecting reliability? Would love to get to approx 200 bhp, but how do I do it?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't waste your time tuning for another 20/30 bhp IMHO

It will cost you over £2000 and reliablity is always an issue with 200+ K series despite what people say.

The only way to go is an engine transplant like an Audi or Honda but being as you have a fairly new S2 it doesn't financially make sense.

Other than that the elise is never going to be lightning in a straight line - driver training from 1st Lotus will definately speed u up and is a worthwile upgrade - so i'm told :)

170 bhp is very very fast in the elise when you have the skills to exploit it all. I haven't but iv passengered with a man who has :drive:

That's if you believe 143 is correct! Lotus tended to understate power for the lower powered variants to diminish the insurance impact.

Dave H's S2 111s with induction & exhaust bits recorded 159bhp at Aldon the other week.

Yes I agree 160 tops :(

I think the basic problem is not enough torque lower down. In my 111s it still hadn't peaked power wise at 7250 it was still going up.

That sounds good but it does mean you have to rev it a lot.

The top end power does appear to be at the expense of some low and mid range torque but then a 1.8K is never going to give you much more than 150ftlb without supercharging it :(

Think I would be quite happy with an extra 20ftlbs hmmm.....1.5k of head work cams and Emerald should just do it :(

Just a thought ;)

Dave :clap:

You could say that about under rating power but what about over rating ?

Sport 135 is est. 140+bhp par example.

I know quite a few people with dyno tested 165+bhp S1 111's with only the mods I stated so if the mods aren't going to achieve 20 brake then Lotus must be over rating the power to start with ??

But as you say...with Dave's power so down they are possibly under rating with the S2.

Not really interested in the inside outs of S2's anyway :(

but if we are talking 'relational' to power gains of the S1 then 170+ seems wholly achievable

I'd be highly amazed if you were getting 174 bhp from those mods, but it is possible i guess.

DVA offers an upgrade path for the 111S, basically to get anymore than 180 ish bhp you need to remove the VVC mechanism, so a bit of a waste of a lot of cash IMHO.

If you have the cash, TurboTechnics supercharger kit gives 215bhp on the VVC - worth a go?

Archived