litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

First Glimpse Of Lotus Destined To Go Like The Wind

Mark H

This is the first glimpse of what could become the first wind-powered supercar which took its first road test in secret.

With a budget of £300,000 the Lotus Exige bought on Ebay and nicknamed Nemesis is being converted to run on wind-generated power in Norfolk.

After a bit of a false start, the car was taken on its first road test at Tibenham airfield, near Diss, and reached speeds of over 100mph to the applause and sighs of relief of the expert team behind it.

Project backer Dale Vince, founder of Ecotricity, was delighted with the first test results after a ride in his new toy.

"It's very fast," he said after having a go in the car which he said sounds part Stuka dive bomber and part supercharger. It looks and sounds awesome and it goes like hell. You kind of feel you're pushed into the back of your seat.

"The acceleration is astonishing. If you've ever been on the Oblivion at Alton Towers, that feeling you get in the pit of your stomach as you go over the edge and rush groundward - that was exactly the feeling."

Before the Tibenham test the car had only ever been powered on trestles at a secret workshop near Norwich as Mr Vince's so-called A Team has worked on it.

Its first outing got off to a tricky start when it failed to move far when the accelerator was floored.

After it was transported to Tibenham airfield it had to have its computers partially reprogrammed.

It was then taken on a trial run restricted to 25mph before being driven at speeds of just over 100mph.

It is due to be out at Snetterton racetrack soon for more tests to see how it copes with longer runs. And it is hoped it will be officially launched near the end of summer.

"I'm expecting it to be incredibly quick," said Mr Vince. "The big question will really be how long we can drive it for. All the time and care our guys have put into the design and build of this car really is starting to show. I mean to perform 'straight out of the box' like this is a real feat."

Mr Vince is hoping the project will turn into a statement about the need to develop green cars.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/news/...3A58%3A06%3A157

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So.... they took an exige, turned it into a Tesla with some Ferrari style rear lights.... then charged it up from a wind turbine?

Am I missing something - hardly technical innovation?!?

• 3 weeks later...

Only just seen this - I think it's brilliant!

A production Tesla, to buy from a dealer, costs around £100,000 IIRC.

This team have gone out & designed & built their own, from scratch, for £300,000!!!

I would have thought that, if you can make a one-off for £300,000, you ought to be able to mass-produce them for 10 - 15% of that (& still make a profit). That puts it in the £30k - £45k bracket.

If they can get a reasonable range and a fairly quick re-charge time sorted, I would say that with supercar performance, zero-car tax and zero fuel costs then they could have a winner on their hands!

Good luck to them!!!

Archived