litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

A048's Now Fully Slicks

chris_h

A048's are now fully slicks after 8k miles. (centre part is fully smooth :( )

Only road driving (no track days yet :D ) what sort of miles are other people getting ??

The cheapest I can find them for is £145 (fitted) for each rear.

Dosn't seem to bad to me anyone got a better price ??

Chris

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Careful chris. They actually stopped traffic on the A50 the other week to spot check people. I could seriously think of better ways to get 3 points than that. Heard it on the radio and got off ASAP as the P-Zero's aren't far off.

I run 39's on mine and they sound as though thet are also as soft as the 48's, tend to end up changing the rears just after each service.. so probably 7k miles.

Dont know of any cheaper place for you though sorry :D

You find 48's ok on the road even with the rain we have had recently?

Not planning on driving the car apart from going to get it serviced (getting tyres at the same time)

I have been very surprised with the grip in the wet even with very little tread over the last few weeks.

That price for the tyres is getting them from lotus sport at the factory !!

Also getting the Exige serviced there as it is cheeper than Peter Smiths (including the petrol to hethel and a travel lodge the night before !! )

Hi Chris.

Done just over 4.5k on mine now, and have about 3-4mm left over the wear indicator, although I'm doing the SELOC trackday at Mallory on Sunday, so will probably need some new tyres next week !

Just out of interest, I phoned Inner-Ring tyres in Derby who quoted me £175 each fitted and balanced.

I've asked Sinclairs for a price on suplying the tyres as they are doing the trackday support on Sunday at Mallory (but can't fit them track-side)

Steven

I've checked a few websites and that price seems about the cheapest. Just a thought, what about keeping the ones they take off and using them for a few trackdays next year??? You might need to grab a couple of spare alloys so that swapping dosen't create a problem but it might save you a few bob on rubber??? Just a thought.

Also getting the Exige serviced there as it is cheeper than Peter Smiths (including the petrol to hethel and a travel lodge the night before !! )

Chris, anything would be cheaper than Peter Smiths, and I now have personal experience of the "Service" depart and rest assured, they will NEVER see my car or money ever ever again, at all, no way, with bells on. :(

A048's are now fully slicks after 8k miles. (centre part is fully smooth  :D )

Only road driving (no track days yet  :( )  what sort of miles are other people getting ??

The cheapest I can find them for is £145 (fitted) for each rear. 

Dosn't seem to bad to me anyone got a better price ??

Chris

I wish I could get mine to last 8k miles 4k from the last pair :(

£145 is a good price.

Currently been looking at tyre prices as i'm going to have to get a new set soon, that price doesn't seem too bad (NW quoted just under 700 for 4 A048's). :(

Whilst we're on the subject, does anybody have any experience of A039's versus A048's for on an S1 exige? It's got A039's at the mo (standard), and I know the S2 uses A048's as standard. Tread pattern's a bit different with the 39's maybe being more suited to general road use than the 48's? Anybody know about wear though? Not sure which to get, probably inclined to try the 48's, more for comparison than any other reason - they do also seem to be a bit cheaper though. :(

Any other suggestions or recommendations appreciated :D

The 048 "feel" a whole lot better IMO - having tried both on the road - Steering feels much "tighter" and there is more grip for sure.

The wear rate is much the same but they are better suited to track as the 039 tread blocks get smeared all over the place .. Here

For general road work and winter weather / standing water the 039 is better when the tread depth drops ...

I do run track geo though and that is better suited to the 048 no question.

On balance I would go for the 048 every time - but 8K miles ?? No way 5-6 tops on an S1 ..

Could the S2 be kinder on its tyres I wonder ?

Archived