litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Driving Test Retake Every 10 Years

avalon

Anyone heard anything about this ?

Europe wants a driving test every ten years.

Motorists could be forced to take a driving test every ten years under plans being drawn up by the European Parliament. Drivers will not have their licence renewed until the test has been passed.

The scheme was reported on BBC Radio 4's Europe Now programme. The scheme is an effort to reduce the 45,000 deaths on Europe's roads every year while tackling the growing problem of road rage and bad driving. Some ministers are opposed to the "expensive and bureaucratic" scheme.

The AA are also against it saying young drivers are the real problem for the high number of car deaths in Europe

http://www.2pass.co.uk/page3.htm

The World (or more accurately) Europe has gone mad, though i guess we already know that

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the way my parents drive now, maybe a retest at 65 would be an idea. Not sure every 10 years would be financially viable.

Or, I could become a driving tester... and advocate 10 yearly testing. Possibly yearly testing needed for younger females ;-)

I don't reckon this is a bad idea! I did my truck licence a few years ago after about ten years of driving and having forgotten most of the highway code it was a good refresher.

Doing emergency stops in an artic is bloomin good fun as well :P

I'm amazed that it's taken this long to come round.

If someone was to invent the car now, as a new idea, it would never be allowed on sale because it would be far too dangerous. This nanny state! At least keeping those dangerous drivers off the road a bit sooner, before they become dangers to others (as well as themselves) is a step in the right direction. Those who still have the ability & co-ordination to control a vehicle would be alowed to continue to drive.

Graeme

I dont mind retaking mine but I bet it would become as much of a farce as tax/mot/insurance is slowly becoming.

It will mean honest people retaking tests and people who dont care about things like even insuring their cars not bothering to retake theirs!

But the test will involve compulsory driving at 40 in a 60 and 40 in a 30, infact 40 everywhere. Sitting in the middle or outside lane of a motorway at below the speed limit, just to slow everyone else down. Reversing around a corner without looking wearing string backed gloves. Driving along at a steady speed until the examiner slaps his board on the dash, when you must execute an emergency search in your handbag.

Remember the golden rules of the road.

Mirror, signal, mirror (oh my god I look dreadfull), drift across the lanes, signal, mirror (apply the lippy), drift back across the lanes, turn off signal, mirror (a bit of foundation), mirror (much better, gorgeous), MANOUVER!!!

There will be a special amendment form BMW drivers, where the signal is replaced by driving 6" from the car infront.

Driving tests. Who needs them :P

Archived