litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Suspension.

Martin R

Having recently become an S1 owner, i have a couple of questions. Im thinking of buying S2 suspension ( new springs and dampers ) The first question is, who is the cheapest to get them from ? The second question is, is the upgrade worth doing ? ie in terms of quietness from the suspension etc. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have S1 LSS and that was a vast improvement over std.

I have no idea on S2 stuff, but a lot of people on here have the upgrade and seem happy.

Graeme Kidd has 2 Elises, 1 with LSS, 1 with S2 kit.... he prefers the S2 stuff.

Cheapest person to buy them from is a guy called Steve Butts on SELOC, but Horizon can supply and fit for a reasonable sum also :tup:

If you have a low-entry trolley jack (or a bigger jck and some planks of wood to drive onto), fitting is definitely a DIY possibility. In which case send an email to Steve Butts ([email protected]). He's a privateer but completely reliable. Provides an idiot-proof service: sources genuine Lotus S2 springs & dampers but will then set them up for the ride-height you want. If necessary that will mean supplying some replacement front top mounting brackets (again, just a spanner job to swap). Usefully cheaper than buying them from a dealer. Most go for 110mm front, 120mm rear.

The geo you should have done afterwards is definitely not a DIY task. As Scott says, Horizon will do the lot for you.

I love my new car to bits but the more I drive it, the more I miss the S2 suspension on the other car (currently still in dock). One word describes it: sensitivity. The S1 LSS may be stiffer than std S1 stuff and the geo is spot on, but it's got the same wooden feel. You'd know what I mean if you have an S2-equipped S1 and previously had the original stuff.

Graeme

Martin

I fitted a S2 susp to my 111s about a month ago. Dead easy job to do - surprisingly few bolts were seized up!

Initaily I was a bit dissapointed! The ride felt a lot harsher than before and seemed to jolt me around more. There was definately a lot less roll though and the ride height looked loads better than the '4x4' look that Scot said it the car was like! ;)

After I took the car for a Geo at Horizon the diffrence was amazing! (well it was quite good anyway! :) ) The ride was a lot less harsh and handled a lot better.

I got my susp from Steve and he was happy to answer all my questions and the shocks arrived in a couple of days of ordering. Deffo reccomend him.

Dave

Mike at Horizon did a great job on mine a couple of months ago, did a great job as ever. Had lots of other stuff done at same time so not sure on price. Set up at 110/120 and have to say the car is great again. Have had to modify the front number plate as the standard one will ground at the slightest provocation at this hight. System is quieter, though in an Elise that is relative. Called in on Kings in Leicester just to ask and they, as Lotus dealers claim they had never heard of the S2 mod and certainly would not carry it out, though they did offer me a reduced "trade" rate of £75/h instead of £94! And he kept a straight face.

Well worth the ££, go for the S2 mod.

Peter

Martin - later S1's had the std ride height raised to 160/160 - '99 on, I think.

Peter - presume you mean Storm at Leicester. Kings was the name of the now defunct garage at Warwick.

Deplorable information from them, whoever they were: the S2 spring & damper kit is an official Lotus replacement for S1 now. But buy it from a Lotus garage and all they'll do is fit it, meaning a 135/135 ride height. General opinion is for geo & aerodynamics, S1's work best with the front 10mm lower than the rear, so you've got to go to Steve Butts or Horizon for that really.

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

So on this basis would an S1 to S2 conversion of 125/135 give the same feel you described.

Also,

To achive the 110/120 ride height are the springs just more compressed on the platforms or is it the brackets that give the 10mm drop ?

;)

Edit due to not explaining myself

Bob

Mine was 110/120 but the basic suppleness would be there almost irrespective of ride height. The brackets are apparently necessary to get to 110, rather than just spring compression. To get to 110 or less on rear, I believe extra brackets are required for that as well. I don't really understand these things but I'd have thought people wouldn't have gone to the time & trouble of designing & manufacturing new brackets if they were completely unnecessary.

Graeme

I understand what your saying Graeme, the brackets give the extra 10mm drop, not the spring compression, therefore the balance front to rear is equal although lower.

Did you go for a stiffer anti roll bar or ARB bushes and did the steering rack need shimming at the same time ?

;)

Sounds like I missed a good day - Bugger !

Bob

No change to my ARB. I don't understand why people think they need it except for track work - Elise doesn't roll much anyway - and an over-stiff ARB will compromise ride quality by restricting the independent movement of the wheels.

At some point, everyone should think about changing their bushes - ARB & wishbone. That doesn't mean changing for nylatron, but a routine replacement. Remember Mark A saying his were shagged after a few '000 miles. Springs & dampers (& wheels) off would be a good time to make the swap - you'll need a geo afterwards with either task.

Didn't raise my rack. Was going to but managed to lose the shims before getting everything else done. No need IMO. Certainly no bumpsteer. Slightly more tendency to tramline under braking but that was more likely to be the wider advan tyres fitted at the same time. If you're using Horizon, Mike's geo settings make for a benign, well-planted front anyway, so bumpsteer probably dialled out.

Graeme

Thanks Graeme, valuable info for sure.

Did think of the thicker Sport ARB and have definately had a number of occasions where I could (with current handling) justify this as the front could definately do with tighter control between each side.

However, your offer to have a quick drive in it as it stands is a must do.

To put things in perspective, I can take Kims knackered old diesel Megane on the route to work and easily take most of the bends at a higher speed with confidence.

The Elise however provides the underpant changing requirement at even the most smooth of curves with positive road camber - and in the dry.

No criticism of Mike's geo but the steering wheel often feels disconnected from the column in a central position (it was the same before the geo) i.e. there is a sensation of "float" which often quickly changes to quite harsh tramlining.

You gotta drive it to get where I'm coming from.

To Be Continued ...

Archived