litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Suspension.

Martin R

I understand how you're feeling, because my Ruby red car was very twitchy before I got it sorted. Did tyres, S2 springs & dampers and geo all at once, so not possible to be definite which bit did what.

You mention you've had geo and I believve you've replaced tyres (?), so that leaves the suspension and steering.

I had the "Mike" geo settings after a brief discussion. It's quite possible you have one or more leaking or failing dampers, so anything would be better than what you've got. With mine I had a very poor N/S rear damper and a merely dodgy O/S rear. I thought the tyres were going off after a good drive, but in fact, it was the dampers collapsing just when they were meant to be working! This was diagnosed by Andrew Walsh before a mechanic had looked at the dampers and of course, an inspection proved him right. That's my bet - an since a geo is a static calibration, damper performance doesn't factor.

Alternative issues include bushes, wishbone ball joints, rear toe links and most likely, steering rack or track rods ends - if it's a front-related issue.

If we time it right, I'll have 2 cars for you to try! One with S1 LSS and one with S2.

Graeme

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Graeme,

I'm begining to go with your thinking, I've had Mikes Geo, not yet changed the tyres, but the more I drive it, worn dampers, weak springs probably accounts for the lock ups behind Ladders.

There is a weight transfer issue from front to rear, and front end side to side, hence the questions about ARB's.

As for the timing of you trying mine, mine yours, PM me and I'll give a contact number.

:P

Thanks all for info.

Archived