litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Fiona..sst

malbon

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We bought the vinyl from a guy on SELOC who has a company in Market Harborough. Cost £40 for three 6" wide stripes of 5 meters length (enough to do the car 3 times if you are careful).

Fitting was done by myself and Richard, but took all day.

I re-did the back bit myself a couple of months back as it wasn't right the first time and didn't take as long. Must be getting better at the technique :D

Though that for £40 you can't go wrong, and if you do they peal off easily and all you've lost is £40.

Quotes from other companies to do it was in region of £180, but most had never done an Elise before.

Try it yourself first.

May be able to lend a hand if I'm free.

Cheers

Obviously thats so they can replace the stripes for you in the event they need to!

(How kind)

Actually I am hankering after stripes but was    :D    when you mentioned the extra charge!

No, the stripes aren't covered by insurance. Gits.

Great Stuff. Sorry Steve..missed you out there !

Fiona...thats Dave B off Essex Roadsters and thats the car that spurred me on ! Striped Si's are a thinner stripe. I prefer this width tho

I'll get on the case. think ill go for navy ones as ive got a navy hood.

You say they peel off easily ? Are they going to cope with the winter weather or going to start to look tatty ?

Also what happens if I take them off - Is the paint going to be faded ?

cheers

Jon.

They only peel off with the help of a hairdryer so they shouldn't fly off at high speed!

We went for a type of vinyl that is only tacky for 2-3 years. You do get a more extreme version that lasts for 5 years or more but, we, like you, were worried about the effects on the paint.

However, I've been assured that it shouldn't affect the paintwork at all. I suppose in the long term it could if the car was stored outside in all weathers over a good few years but ours is tucked away in the garage when not in use. A good t-cut should get rid of any marks, however.

The best approach when applying is to use a hairdyer to make the vinyl more malleable so that you are 100% sure that you leave no gaps.

Once it's applied and "cured" for a day it's best to do a serious polishing job in order to bring the level of polish up to the stripe itself so you shouldn't mistakenly tear it or lift it when cleaning.

As Steve said, we had to redo one at the back because it wasn't sticking round the curve at the back. We had a look at Burt's at Brunty (professionally done at Sinclaires) and we couldn't see a difference.

734.jpg

I've seen silver on red on an S2. Someone on Seloc trying to sell his a while ago. Looked good.

The striped exige at the motorshow had different colours. Orange and White over a yellow exige I think and it looked :) Mind you everything does under those lights.

Archived