litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Newbie Question

ade

Just been out and bought an S1, hopefully picking it up next week and assuming I don't wrap it around the nearest lamppost I'm planning on fitting a hardtop. The only trouble is it's a May '98 version, which as I gather it requires a modification to the cant rails. Can anyone advise what work needs doing?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi ade.

I also dont have a garage and my elise is on the street every night. I have never had a problem. But i can see your point.

I also have a hardtop which is nice for the winter. It doesnt leak like the soft top sometimes does (but as McScott says, a well fitted soft top doesnt leak either) Its also better sound and thermal insulation, (but they are also not a problem with the soft top)

But they do serve a purpose and if you have £6-700 burning a hole in your pocket, then why not! :D The hardtop also looks damn cool unlike lots of other cars with hardtops that just look stupid.

To get back to your question, the problem you are describing sounds like its to do with the soft top, not the hard top. They changed the positions of the press-studs on the cant rails at about the time yours was manufactured (so beware if buying a new soft top without the rails) The hard top doesnt use the cant rails and will fit straight on.

Another hint is that Middlemoor hardtops dont have particularly good reviews. A genuine one has a useles white bit of plastic on the underside of each rear "finger." Much better apparently!

Anyway. i hope all this helps :) enjoy your new purchase!!!

Steve B)

:)

Oh yes - theyre easy to fit but you wouldnt want to be doing every night when you get home from work (3 allen keys and 2 painful, finger-crunching clips!)

Give me a shout if you have any more questions.

Steve

post-3-1095179855.jpg

Don't have a garage, so the hardtop is more of a security thing

That is what insurance is for :)

I wouldn't be overly concerned... if you don't have a garage have you thought where you would put the hard top when its not on the car?

Personally would spend the money elsewhere, but point taken :D

Ade,

Don't bother,spend the cash on some driver training,most of your pikey thieving mindless ignorant wa?&ers don't really understand Elises so if you are going to get any bother it tends to be keying of the paintwork,and if its one of your "smacked up" thieving ba$tards then they tend to just throw a brick through your window steal your stereo or whatever they can get thier hands on and leg it.

Sorry don't mean to sound like it happens all the time because it doesn't but in my experience a hard top won't make any difference regarding security.

hth

Regards

Jon

Listening to all posts, but ....

When the hardtop is fitted, I do feel more secure for my px when pushing on.

No top or soft top tend to 10/10 ths.

Hardtop 11/10 ths's

*false* security maybe, but for another reason.

:)

Everyone at the pub tonight or am I blackballed again ?

indeed they do, the trick is too pull the front corners a bit after all else is done, as these will then stick out a little over the top front of the side windows which is where the water blows in sometimes. Have always done this and never had a leak so far...... emptied my rain cover onto my seats, but this wasn't a leak, more a bath!

New 111R has special gutters at this point btw

ENJOY!

PS - dont buy a Hard top IMO, go to 1st Lotus a few times instead!

I've just bought a hardtop. IMO they look cool and i'm "hoping" it's gonna leak a little less.

Normally the soft top is OK but when we had that last bout of heavy rain i got soaked on the way to and from work. No matter how much i pulled at the corners and tried to get a better fit.

If your going to use the car every day (like me) i think it's more of a necessity.

Gonna store mine under the bed when it's not in use.

If you do buy one and decide that it's not worth the expence then sell it! They go like hot cakes!!

Will they give better fule efficiency on motorways??? Just a thought.

Archived