litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

What To Buy For £25 - 30k

GCCK

OK - time to replace the temporary (1 year...) company car. Have a £30K budget but don't feel obliged to use it - the more it costs, the more you pay in tax!

There's a Diesel, 4-door policy (bye bye ZT260, RX8). To be new, on a 3 year fully-maintained contract hire basis, mileage approx 20K pa.

Won't have a BMW or Mercedes on principle. Audis & VW's are still too stodgy in the bends. Alfa's still iffy for reliability and lease rates ridiculous because of depreciation. Volvo, Saab - nah, just don't fancy it. No 4x4's (obviously!). And I must have a manual gearbox.

Narrowed it down to the following:

1. Jag S-type 2.7D

2. Jag X-type Sport 2.0D, 128bhp

3. MG ZT-T + CDTi 135

4. Mondeo ST TDCi 2.2, 155 bhp

One look at the S-type's boot ruled it out. Once you put a pram in there there's no room for anything else. Shame really - it looks a fantastic package and late into the model's life, it's getting rave reviews, specially in diesel form. That sent me looking at the estate versions of the other 3. All are big enough for what I need and when optioned up are all about £25-26K, so it won't be about spec war. CO2 figures fairly similar too. It's going to be about how they DRIVE which will decide it for me.

I just wondered if anyone had experience of any of these cars. Comments greatly appreciated as next step will be the test drive (and contract hire quotes).

ta

Graeme

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sales Manager has an Audi A3 TDi, ok it lacks a bit in feedback round the corners but it cirners bloody quickly! The ride is a touch harsh, but nothing too bad... so i wouldn't write them off just yet.

MG's are nice, big cars, good to drive apparantly (my dad tested one) X Type is small and weedy, you may aswell get the Mondeo instead!

However the best Diesel, estate, good to drive etc according to What Car etc is the Honda Accord... big diesel engine, refined etc looks a bit odd mind!

Thanks, Scott

Yes, thought about the Accord Estate but kept thinking "Does my bum look big in this?" - very long rear overhang makes it look unbalanced. It's got a very good diesel engine but allegedly it's not as sharp in its responses as the others.

Graeme

Most reviews said it was good... :tdown:

MG is going to win in the size stakes, we just bought a collection of Toyota Avensis, great contract hire rates from Toyota, massive cars, everyone loves them, good residuals, but i think they only come with a smaller diesel engine... and for a high flying exec as yourself, maybe not the right image?

Graeme - have experience is 1, 2 and 4. 1 is great - fantastic car - very quick and smooth, but the boot is a shocker. Shame since apart from that I think it would win by a country mile over the rest. 2 is well put together but a little gutless IMHO. Fantastic economy and good drive, but engine could do with being the 2.7 version. 4 is a mondeo, but depends what you want - never going to stand out or retain much in terms of value, but then it rather depends on whether you're running a car allowance scheme or a pcp or a straight lease. Will be much cheaper for you as well, although since the residuals on the X type will be stronger, the payments would be lower than pro rata. If the latter than I'd go for the mondeo, and every time the boot is less than full, wish I'd gone for the S type. My 2ps worth anyway.

I wouldn't bother with the A4 either. Mine is falling to bits after 1 year! I think they have inherited the VW crap build quality and the can't be bothered customer service!

Try something cheaper. I have never found that the extra money for an exec. car is worth it. The Mondeo is just as good interior quality as the Audi, however it does have a very quishy ride.

How about the Landrover Defender? No drivers car, but I have always fancied one for driving around the country estate. :tdown:

What have you got against BMW??

It'd have to be a BMW. They’re great cars. RWD, 3.0 diesel. If you want a drivers car i think you'll like them!

I had a 325se for a week or so while my Z3 was in the body shop (some clown reversed into it in the car park). I have to say, it was great. Compared to any Mondeo i've driven it was well and truly in a different league!!

Can't comment on any of the others though. HTH

A mate of mine has got the MG diesel (but not the ZTT or whatever it is) and it has been in the garage for most of its life. It doesnt help that he rags the arse of it but it should last a little longer than it has. (could be a friday afternoon production version though)

Probably a bit small for you but the Seat Leon / Toledos are very nice and good value for money and they go like sh1t off a large spade.

another 2p anyway.

Steve :)

Far be it from me to come over all anthropomorphic, but with its huge headlamps and massive gaping mouth, the 407 looks in a constant state of surprise! Saw the SW (estate) version at the Cov run and the boot's no bigger than the Mondeo in spite of appearing a much bulkier car. The immense front overhang and deep windscreen (you feel as if you're sitting under it rather than behind it - quite disconcerting) mean that its packaging is quite poor and visibility apalling.

Better than a Vectra, inferior to a Mondeo was my conclusion.

Graeme

What about an Avensis?

To be honest Graeme looking for a 4 door oil burner is never going to bring driving satisfaction. The closest is the BMW 530 but then you'd have to drive like you own the road (it's the law).

You could go the 4x4 route, but obviously not if you want reasonable handling.

When I got my new job and was given £20k to spend I thought I'd have a great time choosing a good car. Then I was told it had to be 4 door diesel and all the fun evaporated. :clap:

Archived