litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

What To Buy For £25 - 30k

GCCK

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drove the Jag X-type Diesel Sport Estate today.

Mightily impressed with how taught it felt, little roll yet ride very compliant. Didn't expect it to be blisteringly fast and of course it wasn't, but there was barely any turbo lag, which was nice. Excellent seats, really hold you in place (is that why I thought it didn't roll, I wonder?).

Not that quiet (engine, wind & tyres all chipping in). Very effective traction control - cut wheelspin but without nannying - good enough that I'd leave it on, unlike the Mazda I'm having to drive at the mo.

Have to see if the MG & Mondeo can match up now.

Had second thoughts about Accord after a few positive comments but at the end of the day it's still a fairly anonymous Japanese appliance rather than an object of desire. Avensis ditto. Bit ashamed really - didn't realise I had become a snob. Although - RX8 & 350Z are undoubtedly desirable, so maybe Avensis & Accord are still simply dull, in a Vectra-ish way. Strange that I can think of a Mondeo differently.

Graeme

Got to agree..... been driving BMW's for 20 years now never want to let them go.

Have a 5 series (not the ugly one)AC Schnitzer nearly done 100k and it's still so good I don't want it to go and in any case haven't found anything to replace it with yet.

Got to be near the perfect every day car but with the fun road presence and fantastic drive when you want it. :throw:

Perfect companion to an Elise IMHO. :D

OK then it has to be the EVO VIII FQ400 :D

0-60 3sec quicker all round than Zonda, four seats, boot for the shopping and only £45k what more could you want from an everyday car :throw:

I can really see Jim giving the nod to one of them :)

Dave -

Old 5-series is nice, and if I was allowed to get a secondhand car instead of new, it would be the old 530d. I wouldn't have bothered looking any further. New 5-series is just too much of everything - give me a Jag S-type every time.

Steve -

It's the 3-series drivers which give the drivers the reputation for being w@nkers. Specifically the wannabees in the 4-cyl saloons. Coupe & 6-cyl drivers seem more comfortable with their own self-worth and don't feel the need to "prove" themselves at every opportunity.

Graeme

Archived